Need to practice on proper gear

Going in a dj comp and wondering if anyone knows anyone with gear that i could have a quick practice on (happy to pay), i live in Nowra so the closer the better =) the gear at the comp is 2xcd2000's 1x pioneer 800 mixer and 1x 1000cdj, any help will be HUGELY appreciated =)

Mdex is quite different from the pio gear, just for the fact that the jog wheels aren't touch sensitive, they only activate when they move.

(p.s. there's some really good reloops going in buy and sell for $500, rmp3's with a 40 mixer, top stuff!)

Cd players these days are essentially the same deal if you're bot bothered about hot cuing or looping etc.

Play/pause

Cue

Pitch lock (on pioneer it's called master lock I think? - it's a button above the tempo slider)

On the cdj's platter, the top activates "scratch" and the sides are pitch bend forward and reverse. You're able to switch "vinyl mode" off by the button that's got "vinyl" lit up.

All other basic functions are the same. You set up your cue by hitting play then pause when you're at the spot you wanna start. Cue button goes back to your cue point or the beginning of the track.

As for the 800. If you have your master cue activated, you'll be able to hear your master channel as well as the channel you're cuing up. If you wanna play with effects, there's a knob to which sends the effects to each channel + master. Big clearish, yellowish button activates it, wet / dry is the output of the effect and parameter knobby thing adjusts the speeds of the effects. On the left there are 4 blue buttons. They're like quick effect sorta things. Once activated, the colour knobs control the wet / dry output of that effect. There's filter, flanger, harmonic and crusher I think...

Hit up your local music shop to have a play. I'm on the otherside of the country but hope that helps a little lol

Been practicing on a Audioline Mdex3? Never touched Pioneer gear before so just want to have a quick muck around on some see what its like beforehand =)

yeah, pio gear is heaps different to your mdex.... CDJs are a no brainer play = play and cue = cue, but it's the mixer that you might want to look at before you play. They take no time to learn, but you'll want to know what is what before your gig.

got any DJ stores down your way? maybe they could help you out?

i just did a gig last night using a 4Channel mixer for the first time (normally i just use a 2 channel)

i dont know if my transition is as drastic as yours but i think it will be pretty similar.

In principle all mixers r the same, they just go about doing it in a differnet way. Leave ur cross fader in the middle, use ur volume faders for mixing. On the left control the head phones, and under the EQs of each channel there is a button, that when u press a light comes on and puts that channel into the headphones.

if u cant get to a DJ store to have a proper practise, youtube some stuff maybe and try familiarise yourself with the layout

(thast based on effects, but it gives u a good idea of hte layout of the mixer and how it all works)

as lloydc said, the CDJs are straight forward so you shouldnt have too much trouble making that transition, but if your worried hit up youtube aswell

Thanks for all the help guys =) Buying 2x Cdj800 mk2's and gonna plug them into my traktor s4 to help practice and i tried wollongong lightsounds but you cant hire a booth there so i might just train it up to sydney sometime =) and as for dj-ing with three decks, i might just stick to two haha