gear question

oddworld

hi guys,

I have been playing around on traktor for a while but i need hardware if i am going to progress any further. I was looking at getting a set of cdj 850s and a mixer but they are just too expensive. if i go out and buy a traktor cotroller such as this one

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-KNTRLS4

will i be able to go to a club and (reasonably easily) be able to just pick it up and go if they are using cdj's? also, is it worth picking up second hand decks?

Cheers,

Sean

The only thing I can think of that would be half similar is that new pioneer thing the DDJSX but even then it's still abit of a jump.

Specially with an s4, even the buttons feel different.

Also the s4 is made to sync, beatmatching isn't really it's thing with the short pitch faders and jog wheel positions.

There is no sync on cdj's (unless they have a full nexus setup which I highly doubt if they already have 2000's) so your going to have to learn to beatmatch manually, and it's going to be a totally different ball game beatmatching on the s4 to a cdj.

I myself go between a ns6 and cdj 800's without much problem though, so perhaps give the ns6 a look?

I really can't recommend traktor anymore after dealing with what is the most horrible user/customer support of all time.

Beatmatching on S4/Traktor is so simple you may as well just use the sync button. Seriously... Adjust tempo to match other song, move to beat marker, count in and hit play. I so far have only come across a couple tunes where it has got the beat grid wrong, and you simply just move the grid until it is right.

Beatmatching on S4/Traktor is so simple you may as well just use the sync button. Seriously... Adjust tempo to match other song, move to beat marker, count in and hit play. I so far have only come across a couple tunes where it has got the beat grid wrong, and you simply just move the grid until it is right.

turn off BPM counter and phase meter. use your ears.

I really can't recommend traktor anymore after dealing with what is the most horrible user/customer support of all time.

just slightly off topic, but relating to this comment & traktor.

i fully understand frustrations with traktor software's bugginess (but seriously no worse than apple's iphone ios' and itunes, in fact i even think apple is worse) but for anyone using it forget their customer service for troubleshooting.

you are better off going on the NI forums. there are many user experts, who will get back to you quicker, and usually have more experience.

failing that head on the DJTT forums (a lot of the same people live on both).

Why? How does making something arbitrarily harder help anything? Ohh... For the reason that in the olden days people didn't have this ability so nobody should use it now that it is available and becoming more common and will soon be the norm. Anyway... Not the time and place for this debate.

just slightly off topic, but relating to this comment & traktor.

i fully understand frustrations with traktor software's bugginess (but seriously no worse than apple's iphone ios' and itunes, in fact i even think apple is worse) but for anyone using it forget their customer service for troubleshooting.

you are better off going on the NI forums. there are many user experts, who will get back to you quicker, and usually have more experience.

failing that head on the DJTT forums (a lot of the same people live on both).

They have recently stooped to the new low of not even supporting there own products (See audio 6 mac firmware)

Why? How does making something arbitrarily harder help anything? Ohh... For the reason that in the olden days people didn't have this ability so nobody should use it now that it is available and becoming more common and will soon be the norm. Anyway... Not the time and place for this debate.

because it makes it much easier (possible) to DJ on different set-ups when perhaps you won't have traktor if you know how to use your ears rather than your eyes.

makes sense no?

because it makes it much easier (possible) to DJ on different set-ups when perhaps you won't have traktor if you know how to use your ears rather than your eyes.

makes sense no?

Absolutely. But in my case the chance of playing on anything different is next to zero. And I have no aspirations of actually playing at a club etc. But yeah, if this is where you are headed it is a required skill (for now).

makes sense no?

Absolutely. But in my case the chance of playing on anything different is next to zero. And I have no aspirations of actually playing at a club etc. But yeah, if this is where you are headed it is a required skill (for now).

well the OP was asking abut CDJ's and being able to go play in a club. So if that's the goal it's always going to be better to be reliant on your own ears rather than a piece of software. That will allow you to play off Vinyl, Cd's or whatever.

this skill will never die. Regardless if you think it will because you don't need it.

well the OP was asking abut CDJ's and being able to go play in a club. So if that's the goal it's always going to be better to be reliant on your own ears rather than a piece of software. That will allow you to play off Vinyl, Cd's or whatever.

I agree... That is what I said too back in my first post here.

my opinion regarding gear wont add anything to this thread.

but: if you do choose to buy 2nd hand cd decks try and get a go on them 1st and use your dodgiest home-burnt cds covered in scratches.

You want to test if the laser that reads the cd is still reliable.

On most pioneer players the laser should be able to cope with a fairly battered disc.

error messages on the player shoudl alert you to tired old lasers.

hi guys,

I have been playing around on traktor for a while but i need hardware if i am going to progress any further. I was looking at getting a set of cdj 850s and a mixer but they are just too expensive. if i go out and buy a traktor cotroller such as this one

will i be able to go to a club and (reasonably easily) be able to just pick it up and go if they are using cdj's? also, is it worth picking up second hand decks?

Cheers,

Sean

as far as I see it, your only option is the xdj-aero... it costs more, but covers all our bases.

you can use rekordbox (just export playlist to USB) and you can plug into cdj2000/900 and everything will be there for you, you can also use your any ios or android device.

it's a midi controller so you can still use traktor

it's mixer section is pretty similar to any of the DJM series

EDIT: i'm biased because I just bought one, and I love it.

hi guys,

Cheers,

Sean

as far as I see it, your only option is the xdj-aero... it costs more, but covers all our bases.

Pretty much this, otherwise you can probably get a set of 350's and a 350 mixer from somewhere for $1000 if you shop around

I have a set of 800's with a 400 mixer and roadcase going for 1.1k if you want to pay shipping :lol:

you can use rekordbox (just export playlist to USB) and you can plug into cdj2000/900 and everything will be there for you, you can also use your any ios or android device.

hi guys,

Cheers,

Sean

Pretty much this, or you could get my 800's and 400 mixer with roadcase for $1.1k + shipping :lol::lol:

hi guys,

Cheers,

Sean

Pretty much this, or you could get my 800's and 400 mixer with roadcase for $1.1k + shipping :lol::lol:

i told you they were too high