Good Lighting Setup To Mobile DJ With?

Dyson88

Mobile DJ Lighting where to start?

Hi Guys I'm looking for advice from some other Mobile DJ's out there on a good Lighting Setup. Im only just starting to get serious about Mobile DJ ing and want to get some lights that have some WOW factor but without breaking the budget, I've seen plenty of lights on eBay but I'm spoiled for choice and I'm a little sceptical to buy something from overseas.

Anyone have some suggestions for a good combination of Mobile DJ Lights?

If your on a tight budged. Get a decent pair of par cans first.

Nah I wouldn't do this (personal opinion). There's heaps of effect lighting for well under $200. For most house parties (if this is what you're going to start with), 1 or 2 will be enough to get by. You can keep buying lights over time to add to your collection for gigs in halls and so on.

It's just a matter of what you want. They all change colours and are activated by sound so work around what you wanna spend and then go hunting for what looks cool

200 is quite low in the scheme of things, my quad laser alone cost me $250.

I'd go with a few UV lights and some mini lasers with a smoke machine at that price.

$(KGrHqVHJE!FGvgI)BC7BRzn8I3oIQ~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16VHJFwFFZudUM3GBSP7stmfkQ~~60_3.JPG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2TBxYt6jzB5zWqp2tyY_v5E5LGLt8RcaRuCyafbTjpGHzGieWiA

Will set you back about 300 for all that but will give you the best overall effect, would be more suited to youth crowds.

After doing some more research I defiantly need to increase my budget, has anyone had much experience with Chauvet lights? in particular the Cubix 2.0 or Swarm4? I saw some videos on youtube and they look pretty cool but they seem to be more expensive then most, are they good quality?

After doing some more research I defiantly need to increase my budget, has anyone had much experience with Chauvet lights? in particular the Cubix 2.0 or Swarm4? I saw some videos on youtube and they look pretty cool but they seem to be more expensive then most, are they good quality?

Chauvet would have a better build quality than cheaper lights, best thing to do would be to go to lighting store and see everything in person.

a main distinguishing feature is whether or not you want to be the guy with lasers. if not then things become much cheaper.

if so then getting quality lasers with good preset effects is abit more pricey

things like moving heads and stuff are going to be out of your budget i would think

if i had to do it again ide have 4 parcans, 2 effects lights, some form of uv and if the budget allows, some mini lasers and a smoke machine. a smoke machine is great but really a novelty until lasers are involved.

a customised setup intergrates single colour schemes and thats when it gets up there. single colour lasers are hundreds of dollars each and a good multi colour is generally over 1k.

• 2 years later...

I am getting lazy and for house parties I use mainly a couple of cheap lasers and a smoke machine.

Cans and pin spots on a chaser even with long snoots spill too much light on average white painted interior walls.

Derby's are too blinding in small spaces so I only use it in halls.

Hell of a lot of cabling to install and uninstall lights which takes up too much time.

I prefer a couple of leads for the lasers and the smoker at my feet. 

I made a small timber bracket that you can attach with drawing pins to the top of door architraves so no stands are required

Turn off all the lights and blind em with lasers, they will be pissed in an hour anyway.

On 2/12/2014 at 9:15 AM, SolDios said:

200 is quite low in the scheme of things, my quad laser alone cost me $250.

I'd go with a few UV lights and some mini lasers with a smoke machine at that price.

$(KGrHqVHJE!FGvgI)BC7BRzn8I3oIQ~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16VHJFwFFZudUM3GBSP7stmfkQ~~60_3.JPG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2TBxYt6jzB5zWqp2tyY_v5E5LGLt8RcaRuCyafbTjpGHzGieWiA

Will set you back about 300 for all that but will give you the best overall effect, would be more suited to youth crowds.

I have the above the lasers were 14.00 and the smoker was 60.00 ebay. I make my own juice with a 10.00 bottle of glycerine from Woolies and distilled water same place 300ml G 700ml water.

Instant light show for under 100.00