BEGINNER TURNTABLE SETUP

conCuss

Hey guys , 

Iv been wanting to get into turntablism for about 4 years now, but I need help finding a beginners setup that won't break the bank 

I am mostly going to go pre owned for my gear

I was thinking of combining this mixer

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-VMX100USB

With a set of these 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caroline-springs/other-audio/2-x-stanton-str8-30-direct-drive-turntable/1100289712

What are some other cheap combinations that I can go for ? I have been told to go for direct drive as well

Any feedback will be appreciated , especially on the products IV linked

Thanks !

I would say you'd be better off getting a numark m2 or something cheaper, then buying an innofader as that combination will likely be better than a slightly more expensive mixer that wouldnt have as nice a crossfader, which is really important in turntablism. Also means if you upgrade to a better mixer, you'll be able to install it into that too if you want. Statons will be good for an entry level setup, for $300 two direct drive turntables is a great deal.

of course, scratch fiends feel free to tell me im wrong somewhere

ive got statnton st150's so i know stantons are good

never used the 30's, i think ive used str80s and they were fine.

in the end remember the techys 1200 dont have the best torque yet people were fine on scratching on them for years, so its not like you need the torque of the st150 or vestax decks.

note i notice those things are sold, was that you?

in regards to time code, yes i use it but i dont really scratch.

fiend does on time code. as does all the other greats craze, qbert, atrak. so you'll be fine with it.

No idea

It'll do what it's supposed to do, the question is whether or not it can take the heavy toll scratching puts on it

u can always buy a cheap mixer then replace the fader with an inofader or whatever they're called. but that will cost too

if u just want to pay fuck all and get a cheap starter kit to fuck around the only question that matters is 'does the fader work'

as long as you aren't getting your gear from toyworld you should be fine. learn how to scratch using the fader carefully

and changing the fader cap is really just preference

On 13/1/2016 at 4:15 PM, conCuss said:

What would be the problem with the mixer?

Would I need to change the cap on the fader or?

mate you're trying to save money, so just deal with whatever fader and cap comes with the cheap mixer you're buying

they all do cross fading because that's what they're designed to do

Every fader has its limit.

Just fucking buy one and find out what that limit is!

(Then start saving again because the next time 'round you're going to be hunting proper/good gear)

Buy one quality deck for now ie techs, str150, vestax etc and make sure your fader has adjustable slope. play instrumentals off a laptop or something into one channel and practice your cuts before you worry about juggles and stuff. 

this mixer would be fine https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-VMX200USB

and one or a pair of these https://www.storedj.com.au/products/AUD-LP120

that would be an ample first set up.

dont procrastabate just jump in and get hands on!