Zero to Hero

SolDios

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not with the foolish on this one

power speakers are shit...

why...if your playing a gig outside for 4 hours at 12 at night , the air temperature is cold , and the amp's in the speakers are getting hot....because the lack ventilation you get water condensation will biuld up in side the speaker & in time will fuck the circuit board & tranformer

^ funnily enuff i am totally with wazza on this.

I only use powered speakers as a mobile DJ coz in this climate we never ever do outdoor events as a mobile. Maybe an afternoon session or a skatepark opening but not a party into the night.

i play outdoors at doofs and festies until the sun comes up but trust the professional P.A. company to deal with anything that happens after my XLR outs. It can be 98 degrees in a marquee full of nutters but 4 degrees outside... no idea how they cope with the kit, condensation literally dripping of the top of the tent so much that i've had parasols on stage to protect the decks from them.

couldnt condensation build up on external amps as well though?

as i say i'm no expert, i only do the p.a. when its an indoor mobile dj gig. anything bigger and i let others take care of it.

-but i think the key to what wazza is saying is ventilation for whatever unit is likely to get warm.

in theory i guess condensation can build up inside cd decks etc too. I guess some units have dealt with the issue by allowing ventilation and some havent.

lets be honest: all these products have user manuals which stipulate recommended working conditions. The developers have to test them to be sure they wont kill people in normal working situations so i guess if you read the manual specific to your kit you'll find out what is safe and what isnt.

Unless wazza can drop us some more knowledge for srs question?

hmm maybe an amp on a table open to the air, but a set of amps in an amp rack all closed off and heating each other would be just as bad if not worse then 1 amp on the back of a speaker no?

im no expert, just guessing :P

hmm maybe an amp on a table open to the air, but a set of amps in an amp rack all closed off and heating each other would be just as bad if not worse then 1 amp on the back of a speaker no?

im no expert, just guessing :P

Depends on your airflow. Nightclubs rack all theirs, why do they not have troubles?

Front inhilation to rear ventilation = prime.

Cold air in the front and hot air out the back, brilliant flow = great.

Yeh that's fair enough, but nightclubs aren't outsside in cold air go create condensation, they are usally in warm inside so condensation would be hard

I believe foolish Wazza and yourself are right, I'm not arguing that point, I think the conditions would have to be pretty specific for enough condensation to build up on the back of a powered speaker to ruin it, outdoors and down south would be the most common I guess

Internal amp on a speaker... amp in an amp rack... either of them will cause issues if they are in the same situation. Basically because they are the same thing, just housed differently!

Usually the positive you can get from a passive system is the fact that you can place the amp rack in better conditions, whereas the powered option obviously means you can't because the speakers need to stay where they can be heard! Also, power amps have fans whereas powered speakers may just have heatsinks. Generalization of course.

Jaz - remember that amps that are in use are never closed off. Both lids are taken off to create airflow. Another reason why there are recommendations to not stack amps directly on top of each other and to leave a 1U gap - to create more flow around each unit.

• 3 weeks later...