Beat matching suggestions and help needed

Hey fellas,

I know that another member posted a thread with the same topic, but I felt like that one died. Sorry if I'm wrong. 8-[

Anyways, I've been trying to beat match and it hasn't been working out very well, everytime I do it with the same song it sounds decent, but when I try beat matching different songs all I get is just noise (mind you, it's not music!) and I get really frustrated! :bounce:

I just need a bit more help with this. Maybe some songs that are good to practice with... I haven't found anything online that sounds good together. Also I don't understand how do I find out which way the pitch control goes and what percentage to leave it at! I've tried looking at ellaskins and Sarah Main on YouTube, but they aren't much help to me. Anything else that I could try.

-Cheers! :hurr::hurr::hurr:

Everyone above me had given the right advise so I can't add much other then that another member on here had an MDEX and ended up finding out that the pitch controll is not accurate and will often drift, this could hinder you a bit

meening if you have 2 songs lined up perfectly withthe same pitch/tempo adjust 1 will drift away from being in sync with the other

If Sol dios chimes in he will be able to tell you more then I can as he had the mdex

yeah def pick two songs which have prominent kicks and not much else.

also dont worry about headphones at first. just have both line faders up and try to get them to match.

its good, though not necessary to know the bpms before hand. just to give you some idea of which way to pitch. which is why back in the day you would either write on the record label the bpm, or put a little sticky on the album cover.

and people are different, but my preference is to pitch the incoming record down from what it should be and then that way i know which way i will be pitching to make the two match.

the other thing when you start to move to songs which dont just have a kick, there are times when there is not enough in the intro to beat match OR there is too much going on to match; so scroll forward to somewhere in the song where it makes it easier to match.

^ im the opposite, i prefer to drop it say half a beat behind, nudge the jogwheel a little until they are at the same pace then gradually pitch up/down (if they are different bpms) untill they are matched, for me that just makes more sense but as eggs said everyones different what ever makes it easier for you

i guess thats the same in scratching with the normal/hampster style for the crossfader

edit: just to throw in there is no right or wrong way, its whatever works for you

just had a quick listen to the first few minutes

so ill just comment on the transition at 1 min

from what i can hear, u dropped the incomming track out of time, so no matter how well the songs may be beatmatched if u drop the track out of time its gonna sound out of time.

to help drop tracks on time i often tap next to the play button in time with the track for 4 - 8 beats. eg. 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-PLAY

there is a vid by ellaskins and he uses cars as an analogy for beatmatching. highly recommend watching it

just had a quick listen to the first few minutes

so ill just comment on the transition at 1 min

from what i can hear, u dropped the incomming track out of time, so no matter how well the songs may be beatmatched if u drop the track out of time its gonna sound out of time.

to help drop tracks on time i often tap next to the play button in time with the track for 4 - 8 beats. eg. 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-PLAY

there is a vid by ellaskins and he uses cars as an analogy for beatmatching. highly recommend watching it

Great, thanks for the reply! :thumright:

You really need to learn and understand Beats, Bars and Phrases.

4 beats to a bar, 8 bars (32 beats) to a phrase. When your mixing you want to start the track your about to mix in on the first beat of a new phrase.

Most EDM tracks have a 30sec to 1min intro and outro. Find a few tracks that have the extended version and begin by layering the intro of the track you want to bring in over the top of the outro of the track playing.