Headphone Cord Mod

Hobberz

I have noticed that when using a mixer that has the headphone port on the top of the mixer like the DJM800 it causes your headphone lead to bend a fair bit and over time can cause the wires to fail and you may have to wiggle the lead around to stop poor audio quality.

As you can see in the image below, my headphone cord has a bend in it and is causing me some issues. When I unplug them the lead still has that bend in it and isn't good for the internal wires.

68a278a8.jpg

I have noticed on Beats By Dre they have an "L" shaped plug to help stop this, so I'm going to buy a "L" shape connector for my lead to help stop my cord flogging out.

Going to use something similar to this, obviously this is the wrong size but its just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

$(KGrHqV,!iUE7FnbON!rBO-E7ivq8g~~60_35.JPG

Good to know if anyone else has had any problems with their cords, and also you're ideas on what I'm looking at doing.

ide say just chop off tip and solder aan L connector?

my mixer also is like that with my hd25's but it hasn't really bothered me'

Thought about just chopping it too, a connector would be a quick and easy fix until the cord is totally wrecked. I think the cord on the XD's is thicker and heavier than on the HD's and that extra weight is whats causing it to bend.

not sure if serious? doubt that would really do any damage man, plus all the stretch would be on the extra rubberized bit near the jack, the lead containing the electrical wires would mearly be sitting inside it

but if you are concerned the jack converter would be the easiest way...but in saying that, converters are known to loose audio qaulity at times anyway so your back to square 1 dolan

I have to move my headphone cable around near the jack to get them to work, so the problem is just as evident on my headphones too hobberz.

Couldn't find a gold plated L-shaped plug anywhere though, so i'm just gonna solder a new plug on the end and try find an L shaped adapter.

Or if anyone knows of a 3.5 (or a 7.5) mm L shaped gold plated adapter - linky

not sure if serious? doubt that would really do any damage man, plus all the stretch would be on the extra rubberized bit near the jack, the lead containing the electrical wires would mearly be sitting inside it

but if you are concerned the jack converter would be the easiest way...but in saying that, converters are known to loose audio qaulity at times anyway so your back to square 1 dolan

Deadly serious, if you have an electrical wire bent past a certain point for a period of time it will start to wear out and cause a dodgey connection.

is it not more the connection inside the mixer that is the problem rather than the actual headphone jack?

Played on a few mixers where this has been slightly loose. Never had a problem with my own mixer right enough.

I thoght of that also, but the mixer is pretty much brand new. My headphones do it on all mixer/controllers I have used. My headphones are still under warrenty too, wonder if I can just score a new pair :P

Deadly serious, if you have an electrical wire bent past a certain point for a period of time it will start to wear out and cause a dodgey connection.

dude, going by your logic, your rca cabled running from the back of your mixer probly bend down as well causing audio loss in your master outs qaulity, the rca's connecting your cdj's to mixer probly bend a little bit, causes signal loss, the power lead probly has a bend in it causing power loss....this is all just paranoia...maybe if the lead was bent in half and clamped down...

thats what the rubber outercasing is there for, so absorb the stretch and bend and provide protection to the electrical wires...not just to look pretty

So why is it when I bend the cable back to an upright position the headphones stop distorting ect? Obviously there is something wrong with the internal wires.

For example, we have a buff at work that when you plug it in it doesnt work. Hold the trigger in and wiggle lead where it goes into the buff and it starts to work.

that sounds like the weight of the chord is pulling the jack to 1 side of the input, try the adapter n see if that works though

i know i find that my jack has a certain spot it doesnt like to be in and i only get sound threw 1 earphone, i turn the jack a little and its fixed though

If you can take the whole top section off the mixer you could unscrew where the headphone plug socket is and drill a hole in the side and le problem will be le gone? could work but youd have a hole in the top and itd depend how that socket is held onto the casin of the mixer.

• 1 month later...
They still have a straight jack though, the same problem will occur

not really. The straight cable on the HD25's weighs next to nothing so it won't pull down like that.

Although I still don't think thats the problem. Every set of headphones I've ever used in the last 10 or so years has pulled down like that and never had any issues. Including my HD25's with the heavier coiled cable.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...