new DJ equipment for a new DJ

Hi people,

For a long time now I've been totally absorbed in the listening side of electronic music, and have been actively considering having a crack at it for myself.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting 2 Technics turntables with an entry level Serato Rane box with a half decent mixer, all second hand.

The idea behind this is that if it doesn't pan out as expected then I shouldn't have made such a large loss after resale,

and the Serato Box should cut down on the cost of having to purchase a shit ton of vinyl.

I already have a somewhat all right set of speakers and a hybrid amplifier / DAC which i currently use as my stereo system. I Imagine that this would work fine for practising at home.

Does this seem like a good way of starting out with DJing to those who have some experience in these matters? Im quite set on playing Vinyl, it just seems like the proper way of Djing,

but that's just the opinion of someone who really doesn't know all that much.

Any comments are much appreciated, cheers

It really depends on what you're planning to do, just house parties or clubs?

Sure you can argue the "Vinyl is the only way to dj fact", but having a serato box AND turntables kinda defeat's that purpose, since all you're doing that way is playing mp3 files you might as well skip the middle man and just get a controller.

Controllers and cdj's are a great way to get into it, second hand ones hold there value perfectly too. There's also a model for every budget :)

personally If I was able to get good enough I would love to play at a venue somewhere.

That's an interesting point about the Serato box taking away from having a proper set of decks. I was under the impression that using a system like that allows for the same application of control and technique as you would normally with vinyl minus the swapping of records. Ive seen CDJ's and the impression I got was, and this is just an opinion, is that they wouldn't allow you to manipulate the record (or timing data with the serato system) in the same natural way that touching the vinyl itself would give you. i.e. different scratching techniques or the difference between mechanical and digital pitch control. So what i guess im really asking is that would you lose so much from using a serato system compared to using actual vinyl that the comparison between a CDJ and a serato system is really one and the same?

Controllers and cdj's are a great way to get into it, second hand ones hold there value perfectly too. There's also a model for every budget :)

The man knows. He has owned them all :teef: You know someone was going to say it huh?

But I think Sol makes a really valid point regarding turn tables and Serato. Although there is the tactile element of turntables no CDJ or controller can replace. If I was doing Hip Hop and scratching I wouldn't want to go any other way. But I don't...

I am not a turnbtalist either. But it was turntablism that got me on the path of wanting to use decks. I used 1210's for decades and still do to mess about...

But for gigs I am now using a controller. This is mainly because I have let my turntablist side slip.

There are controllers which do a reasonable job of emulating the sound of vinyl. I use a Numark NS6. I still use it to do basic scratches and transforms plus the odd simple juggle.

Only a few controllers actually have motorised platters, which are essential for the real feel of turntablism. If the platter doesnt give back to you with that sensation of torque you are just wiggling a platter, not working with it.

Check out:

http://www.numark.com/product/ns7.

and denon do a few that play CDs and act as controllers.

Neither of these setups are cheap.

Serato is the best of the DVS systems by far. Traktor is great for timecode but doesn't quite carry the weight of serato for turntablism. The Rane mixers with serato are outstanding units for scratching. But both these systems are still playing digital files, so you won't get the 100% vinyl turntablist sound, even though it will "feel" exactly the same. That said serato is accepted at DMC world championships which has stood as the last bastion of turntablism for years.

One thing to keep in mind is to check that your laptop will reliably run the software that any controller or DVS comes with.

If I were to start a practise routine dedicated to turntablism again, which by the way I wish I had time for, I would be happy with Serato on 1210s with my DJM909. I wouldn't attempt it on a controller but I wouldnt force myself to use just wax either.

So my 2c - I guess I'm saying stick to yer guns, get the techs and serato, be a proper turntablist, best of all worlds :)

If you don't mind spending the money to buy turntables and serato I say go for it man! Be prepared to lose a bit of money if you try sell again though.

Downsides are it has greater cost over a controller, a greater initial learning curve and the least portable of dj setups

Upsides are once you do get beat matching down pat, generally those who beat match on vinyl have better core skills than those who play on controllers. Before anyone flames me i didnt say all the time!

Learning to DJ on turntables is an expensive option (compared to other entry paths) but if you master the art then you will find it really easy to move onto CDJs and controllers if need be. Like Sol, you'll probably end up with a range of Dj gear and use different control surfaces (TTs, CDJs or controller) for different types of gigs.

If you don't mind spending the money to buy turntables and serato I say go for it man! Be prepared to lose a bit of money if you try sell again though.

Downsides are it has greater cost over a controller, a greater initial learning curve and the least portable of dj setups

Upsides are once you do get beat matching down pat, generally those who beat match on vinyl have better core skills than those who play on controllers. Before anyone flames me i didnt say all the time!

Haha flamewar in 3, 2, 1...

Sure you can argue the "Vinyl is the only way to dj fact", but having a serato box AND turntables kinda defeat's that purpose, since all you're doing that way is playing mp3 files you might as well skip the middle man and just get a controller.

100% disagree with you solja. by having serato and and turntables, he could then go somewhere with turntables and use vinyl.

somehow i doubt that if he were to start with a controller, he would then be able to walk into a place and begin using turntables immediately. the exception would be someone who has been djing for years on cdjs/ controllers (which are essentially the same); who i believe after an hour or three will be able to pickup using vinyl. as its the release that they will need to get use to.

i learnt using tsp and turntables. and then went to a mates house, straight vinyl, and other than getting use to the lack of torque on the techs i was able to get right into it. albeit still as shit as usual :teef:

100% disagree with you solja. by having serato and and turntables, he could then go somewhere with turntables and use vinyl.

somehow i doubt that if he were to start with a controller, he would then be able to walk into a place and begin using turntables immediately. the exception would be someone who has been djing for years on cdjs/ controllers (which are essentially the same); who i believe after an hour or three will be able to pickup using vinyl. as its the release that they will need to get use to.

i learnt using tsp and turntables. and then went to a mates house, straight vinyl, and other than getting use to the lack of torque on the techs i was able to get right into it. albeit still as shit as usual :teef:

Yep, people make a big thing out being able to play on vinyl, took me a few hours using wax at my old job.

That said to learn the fundamentals of djing AND vinyl is a pretty steep challenge.

My main point was about "the sound of vinyl" as people call it, technically the "Sound of vinyl" isn't being played if you're using DVS, as the sound card is outputting the real sound from an mp3 to the mixer. All the time code is doing is controlling the mp3 file.

Also in my regards to the skip the middle man thing, there are alot of controllers and even cdj's that emulate vinyl with a spinning platter really well.

For instance the ns7 is quite solid.

numark_ns7.jpg

And the Denon SCS3900's are standalone CDJ's with a vinyl platter, they have also fixed the sticker drifting issue from the 3700's, so they behave almost exactly the same.

denon-dj-sc3900_2.jpg

There are also you're cheaper ones such as the Stanton SCS1

1-15-09-scs-1-stanton.jpg

Really a matter of personal preference though.

Also if you're set on TT's id recommend having a look at STANTON STR8150's

They have more torque than Tech's and alot of people out there seem to prefer them.

STN-STR8150.jpg?ts=1286837857

You can also get them new for $600 a pop

Yep, people make a big thing out being able to play on vinyl, took me a few hours using wax at my old job.

That said to learn the fundamentals of djing AND vinyl is a pretty steep challenge.

Not so steep. How did they learn before the time of controllers and digital DJing?

Not so steep. How did they learn before the time of controllers and digital DJing?

exactly what I was going to say.

sorry, please ignore my comments above.

I dunno why (derp/stoned) but I read your OP and honestly thought you were wanting to be a true turntablist, u kno, with scratching and juggles and stuff. Those are the only DJs who really need vinyl control wether it is DVS or just wax.

The guys who use vinyl only (without DVS) but play dance are doing it mainly for the sound quality. If you go that route the mixer and sound system you play through are as important as the choice of piece of vinyl. You will never get that sound from DVS or any digital system.

I re-read this morn and realised you want to be an EDM DJ.

In which case I agree with the majority of posts above: buy a controller to get you started, it's cheapest, most verstaile, and should keep some resale value while you see if you really like playing the game. Just chk your laptop can handle the minimum tech spec for the software your controller comes with.

Obviously all in comparison, but i do agree with you and because of how easy it is to get playing now thats why there are so many poor djs in clubs.

Ok, when i started fumbling with being a dj, there was nothing except cdj's and tt's, when serato came along i lost my shit! I personally think that vinyl (wether og or control) has a better feel than cdj's or controllers, but that's just me, also dj premier never used no cdj's, so i was very one-eyed back then, the more time i spend on this forum, the more i realise, it doesn't matter what you do it with, aslong as it's dope.

I wish i could of afforded technics and a decent mixer in 1997, if you like vinyl go tt's and serato, I love the feel of a turntable but thats just me!