So what do you need to start production?

SolDios

Went into a local music store today and had a look a the monitors,

Safe to say for the prices the krk's won hands down for me.

DAT BASS DEPTH

Going to get the 10's partly just cause, secondly so when I move out I can use em as speakers around the house in general.

Also there's a small (pretty dam small) cocktail bar Im going to be playing at next year, PA speakers are too big, and everything else is too small. These will be perfect. But the major reason I want them is because they kick ass 8)

Sol don't forget that the krks ur talking about could be near field monitors.

When I walk away from my monitors it loses alot of depth and quality of sound..

So when ur playing them around the house and at cocktail bars it might not sound as good as u think.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, il go back and have another listen before I buy.

sorry dood but i wouldnt even go off what u hear in the store.

will sound completely different in everyother environment.

if they are near field the sound will never travel distances as well as a hi-fi or PA system would.

Hey guy's, so I'm wondering what you actually need to start getting into production, and if you any recommendations for gear?

Im guessing id need something like logic, fruity loops, albeton? but what is the deciding factor on daw's?

Also guessing il need some kind of midi controller, an APC 40 looks good enough to control everything I will need?

I would kind of like to be able to try possibly do a live set with launching clips, samples, loops ect... Kinda like Madeon, m4sonic ect..

as for monitors, will my hd-25's do for mastering and such? I can have a 12" audioline setup at ear level too to see what it will sound like on it as well. Or do I need monitors too?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks

Kris

(Yes I realize I am getting abit ahead of myself, but as you have all probably guessed, I like to plan ahead, and it will give me alot of time to assess what I want)

some of this may already be covered but i'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

All you need to start is a half decent computer, a program & headphones / speakers.

for DAW choice goes getting demo's or trial versions and trying each one out first. see which one you like more. you could even start out with garage band if you have a Mac. FL, Ableton & logic are all pretty popular which means there is plenty of free tutorials and shit on the net so they are always a good choice. If money is an issue there is also Reaper which is free and not too shabby IMO.

as far as headphone VS speakers goes you'll be fine with either while starting out as long as you can hear a fair bit of the low end. You will need speakers down the track to hear your stereo field correctly etc. nothing to worry about for a couple of years anyway. Your HD-25's will work just fine. if your looking at studio headphones though test out the Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones they are really really bloody good for headphones around the $160 mark.

forget controllers and all the fancy shit for the most part, unless you really think a keyboard would help you creatively of course. Just try not to spend too much money because if you decide it's not for you then you'll be down about $1000 schmacko's

• 2 weeks later...

krk's are meant for a closed room for producing, not for playing music to a crowd....

Id say buying a pair of decent monitors is number 1.

i used computer speakers and bad headphones for the first 3 years of my productive life and it taught me so many badhabits that when i got monitors i had to completely reteach myself to mix each sound.

If you get studio headphones, still get some speakers to reference from. When using speakers you have sound leaking from the left speaker into your right ear and vice verse. with headphones your left ear ONLY hears what comes out of the left speaker and nothing from the right. This can give you a distorted view of your panned instruments and how they will sound on a system

• 1 year later...