So what do you need to start production?

SolDios

Hey guy's, so I'm wondering what you actually need to start getting into production, and if you any recommendations for gear?

Im guessing id need something like logic, fruity loops, albeton? but what is the deciding factor on daw's?

Also guessing il need some kind of midi controller, an APC 40 looks good enough to control everything I will need?

I would kind of like to be able to try possibly do a live set with launching clips, samples, loops ect... Kinda like Madeon, m4sonic ect..

as for monitors, will my hd-25's do for mastering and such? I can have a 12" audioline setup at ear level too to see what it will sound like on it as well. Or do I need monitors too?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks

Kris

(Yes I realize I am getting abit ahead of myself, but as you have all probably guessed, I like to plan ahead, and it will give me alot of time to assess what I want)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah my bad! just saw the post count and thought possible troll. Too used to being on shit forums (unlike here)

I have used Fl studio, but have now moved on to maschine, purely because i try woefully to make hip hop beats, my advice would be try hands on any daw you can, I would've prob gone logic if not for cost

hope ive redeemed myself lads

Peace

yeah my bad! just saw the post count and thought possible troll. Too used to being on shit forums (unlike here)

I have used Fl studio, but have now moved on to maschine, purely because i try woefully to make hip hop beats, my advice would be try hands on any daw you can, I would've prob gone logic if not for cost

hope ive redeemed myself lads

Peace

I am interested in maschine myself, it has its own software does it?

yep, comes with software, can be controlled via controller or on screen with mouse. If you wanna see what it can do, youtube search a guy called "knocksquared" has great tute vids, i learned alot from him.

I personally love it, does everything i need for hip hop, not sure how edm would go as it is only really loop based.

Any other questions hit me up.

yep, comes with software, can be controlled via controller or on screen with mouse. If you wanna see what it can do, youtube search a guy called "knocksquared" has great tute vids, i learned alot from him.

I personally love it, does everything i need for hip hop, not sure how edm would go as it is only really loop based.

Any other questions hit me up.

there are guys in the dance scene who use it...

Richie Hawtin DJ's with it as part of his set-up.

Shouldnt use headphones to produce unless you cant have speakers really.

Not strictly true. You do get headphones designed for studio use. However, you should not use them as your only source of monitoring.

for the last year I have been using my HD25's cos I'm living away from home most of the time and my studio stuff hasn't arrived from the UK yet. Results aren't too bad. Tracks do tend to be a bit bass heavy. I've learned to compensate for that (kinda).

Should def try out a few DAW's. see which one works best for you although it'll be hard to judge if you don't really know how to use them.

Ableton works for me as is so quick and easy to get some ideas thrown down. I would recommend getting a midi keyboard too.

I wouldnt recommend HD-25s as they colour the sound a fair bit but then again Tommy Trash uses them.

^^^this.

if ur using headphones the flattest sound ive heard in my opinion is the sony mdr-7506's.

personal choice tho.

-DAW

-dont need hardware yet, but if u want to make ur life easy GET KEYS!

-Speakers (monitors/headphones)

I wouldnt recommend HD-25s as they colour the sound a fair bit but then again Tommy Trash uses them.

^^^this.

if ur using headphones the flattest sound ive heard in my opinion is the sony mdr-7506's.

personal choice tho.

-DAW

-dont need hardware yet, but if u want to make ur life easy GET KEYS!

-Speakers (monitors/headphones)

yeah i have found this even doing bootlegs on my 25s, way too much bass comes out.

Hey guy's, so I'm wondering what you actually need to start getting into production, and if you any recommendations for gear?

musical ability

creative talent

a spark of genius

...then some software and some buttons to work it with

get involved Kris :)

ahh... The most important elements.

Went into a local music store today and had a look a the monitors,

Safe to say for the prices the krk's won hands down for me.

DAT BASS DEPTH

Going to get the 10's partly just cause, secondly so when I move out I can use em as speakers around the house in general.

Also there's a small (pretty dam small) cocktail bar Im going to be playing at next year, PA speakers are too big, and everything else is too small. These will be perfect. But the major reason I want them is because they kick ass 8)

musical ability

creative talent

a spark of genius

...then some software and some buttons to work it with

get involved Kris :)

ahh... The most important elements.

These prevail over everything. All the software is doing is one method of putting these talents/ideas together

you would take them as a given though.

and these days you only need limited musical ability to produce music.

Music yes... Good music requires some knowledge and talent.

I wouldn't say you needs heaps of natural talent to produce electronic music. It helps obviously but you get out what you put in if you lack in natural talent. Practice makes perfect.