First club gig

hoddi

Hey everyone, long time no chat, I know.

I sent a mix off to soho and surprisingly found out I am one of their 36 finalists in their dj comp. I am playing this friday night sometime between 8 and 10 (not sure yet) and have no idea what to think. I have never played in a club let alone been in a club! Any 1st time tips would be amazing because I don't really know where to start. It's only a 20 minute set so any advice on what they will be looking for/what the environment will be like/music I should play/anything else you can think of would be amazing.

:help::help::help:

1234742_514126702001981_1018114808_n.png

The things that will make you stand out:

-Song selection (songs that mix well + playing to time slot & the crowd)

-Technical mixing skills (you have this already)

-Crowd response (i.e. bringing friends)

We can help with the first one mostly.

Being a DJ comp, song selection will be a combination of following on from the last DJ correctly, while still being aware of your time slot (e.g. If it's 9pm and the person before you is playing bangers, I probably wouldn't continue doing that).

Equip yourself with a mixture of music, from deep house -> tech house -> house -> electro, so that you're prepared for any situation that may arise. I wouldn't bother "pre-planning" a mix - the judges will likely be able to tell. Learn these tracks before you go. Then when you will be properly equipped :)

Key points:

-Have fun

-Bring lots of friends

-Meet with the promoter / event organiser before & after the event to get yourself known

:D

How come don't prepare a mix? Maybe I will just look really good haha

It's always best to go with the flow because at these sorts of events you have no idea what will happen, practice all the tracks you can because the person/people before you may end up playing the same tracks you had planned, no one wants to hear the same tracks twice :P

that said, it doesn't hurt to have a a set planned out, but if someone does play the tracks you had lined up, have some backups

i think for a 20 min competition it is ok to pre plan a set, but defiently go in prepared to not play it, (if you set doesnt match the time slot, or if ur set contains a track thats already been played 3 times)

as mitch said before, if the person before u is dropping LRAD at 9pm, DO NOT continue on from that, bring it back down to something more suitable. Having recently judged a DJ comp, this was one of the things DJs were marked down for.

Definetly bring alot of support, and make sure they all dance and shit when ur playing. Unfortunetly it wont look good to the judges if the 50 friends that you brought are all just standing on the side.

The other one is acting the part: make eye contact with the crowd, get into it behind hte decks. this doesnt mean u have to be fist pumping and all that bullshit, but show confidence and enthusiasm behind the decks

Have u messaged the guys at soho about the judging criteria?

With my comp sets I usually have it pre-planed, but have songs to swap in on the time.

Id deffs try to bring friends in, usually clubs are empty between 8 and 10. (In Adelaide anyway)

Also try set yourself a vibe that makes your sets stand out. E.g. when I played chilled sets all the track have a deep bassy vibe like this:

Getting yourself noticed is key.

Also in the ones I have been in they do an announcement for who's up next, so your not transitioning into the last persons track.

never been in a club...didnt you turn 18 last year

nah I turned 18 two days ago haha

this is my track list as of now, not set in stone obviously -

animal rights - deadmau5

lights - ellie goulding ryan enzed remix

elements - dinka

mr right now - lucky kate

my love will surround you - dinka

i could be the one - ryan enzed remix

no beef feels so close - joey beatz remix

the bad touch - bloodhound gang gigi borocco remix

I've got a few repeated artists, tell me if this isn't ok, I just did it because I thought they went well, not sure if some songs are a bit heavy or not though :?

Also I've got quite a few people saying they will come to hype up the place hopefully and to show the club people I can pull customers for them and also because I don't want to be wondering the cross by myself.

I have been asking the guy I've been corresponding to about what time slot I'll be in and also what gear I'll be using but he hasn't replied, I feel like an annoying whinging kid haha oh well

How would it go if I'm using my laptop but the person before/after is too? I don't know how this shit works

dont know exactly what the problem is w a laptop.

not sure in the core scene as the only youngin' club ive been to in a minute has been the laundry (i wont count marquee because thats a pop club). and the last three times ive been to laundry in the last twelve months, every dj in every room for the whole night was using a laptop.

i guess the only issue is some people associate laptops w new school dj's who may not know the fundamentals. so if they see you using it, judges may make that assumption. i dont know.

Yeah stay away from laptops, no matter what the device they will ALWAYS stuff up in those situatuions (Murphys law ect..)

If you can beatmatch on your s1 even using the bpm displays you will be fine, the jog wheels arent THAT different from 2000's accept for being a bit bigger, but just use the rim and you wont tell the difference.

I also asked about the songs we should use as in should it reflect the time we are playing or to play more upbeat stuff like it would be if he had a gig and he said play what you like playing. I'm not sure if he meant this or just didn't want to answer my question haha

I uploaded a mix but it got tken down for copyright on soundcloud :oops: