The starting gear

Spark

Starting with a controller is a lot easier. But you will quickly come to rely on the extra features you get compared to CDJ's. This is my problem. I have to be able to see my song now.

If course if you have no intention of ever playing out then this isn't really a problem (like me). I purely make mixes for my own enjoyment.

But you want to eventually play out, and money really isn't a concern then go for the mixer and CDJ's combo. You will be better for it in the long run.

The new pioneer stuff is awesome (controllers). Native Instruments S4 is worth a look too.

I have CDJ 850s and a DJM 700. More than adequate for learning on. If you can play on 850s and DJM 700, you can play on 2000s and 800 (what is in most clubs now).

So if you are really keen to learn & want to learn to play on club gear, fork out the money for CDJ 850s and DJM 700.

What about downloading 320kbps songs randomly or is that a no no?

be careful, illegal downloading is not supported on this website, same goes for pirated software.

Think of the artists you are playing, you may want to make a career out of dj'ing oneday, just like the artist's who music is being stolen. My attitude to stolen music changed alot when i joined this forum. I myself am trying to produce hip hop, I know i'd like to live off it one day!

Peace Homie

Starting with a controller is a lot easier. But you will quickly come to rely on the extra features you get compared to CDJ's. This is my problem. I have to be able to see my song now

It is this reason exactly, that i always recommend going the CDJ route

Should be able to pick up some second hand pioneer gear off gumtree for a good price aswell

Starting with a controller is a lot easier. But you will quickly come to rely on the extra features you get compared to CDJ's. This is my problem. I have to be able to see my song now

It is this reason exactly, that i always recommend going the CDJ route

Should be able to pick up some second hand pioneer gear off gumtree for a good price aswell

Not to mention second hand gear holds it's value so well, so even if you find out its not your thing, you can pretty much sell it back same price.

OK so a quick breakdown from a man who has owned 3 controllers and 2 sets of cdj's (now on 2000's)

As mentioned above, if you plan on playing out in clubs etc then cdj's are definately the route to take. learning to beatmatch efficiently is the key skill to dj'ing.

in terms of learning the basic skills of composing a mix, having a controller is excellent. iniatially you dont have to worry about beatmatching you can just mix (with the help of sync) and see if you enjoy the process of mixing. this is really important as there is no good having the best gear (or even the cheapest) if you dont enjoy it. Ive seen men with 2000's who can neither mix nor enjoy mixing and men with a hercules dj controller purchased for 60 bucks who can bust a beat with the best of them.

its not necessarily what you've got but your desire to learn to use it properly. me personally. i have great equipment coz good dela came around and i had the money. im probably not the dopest mixer..yet.. but i practice every day without fail.

i personally started on controllers and admit it probably slowed my progress in the scheme of things but i dont regret going down that path because i learnt alot about mixing.

if you are doing mobile gigs, mixing at parties etc. having a controller is more than sufficient and even probably recommended as alot of the time you will be fucked up or pre-occupied and the ability to sync shit up or have a computer to show you how far off a mix is or your upcoming tracklists is just so convenient.

in terms of controllers, you cant go past the traktor NI S4 or the pio ddj sx for serato.

pioneer gear is excellent. and is pretty much the club standard everywhere. In terms of hardware RANE also makes some fantastic mixers.

in terms of cdj's

850's are a good mark to start from, but if you have the cash, get 900's.

mixer wise. the djm 800 has been the club standard for like a decade. it is now being replaced in alot of areas by the 900 nexus and 2000 nexus in a few select locations but if you go with a djm 800 you really cant go too wrong.

when you are buying gear though you cant just consider the mixing equipment. think about the circumstances of where/what you are playing. if you are only going to bust some tunes in your bedroom then a couple of quality monitor speakers can be picked up for like 500 bucks. but if your playing gigs you might be looking at spending 4-500 per speaker. ontop of those costs consider the cost speaker cables, usbs etc.

the point is depending on what you need to do with your mixing will generally determine what you buy.

parties, mobile gigs etc = buy controller

want to move to clubs = buy cdj's

alex out

having a controller is more than sufficient and even probably recommended as alot of the time you will be fucked up or pre-occupied and the ability to sync shit up or have a computer to show you how far off a mix is or your upcoming tracklists is just so convenient.

:mog:

having HUD while trying to mix when your blind is the greatest.

specially when beginning.

Ok bros now I need some advice on music organizing.

How do most people do it? Program or what?

I've just started setting out folders in folders. But leads me to if that is the way to do it, what a good layout of folders with genres etc and keeping up to date. How to tell the new stuff from the old other than just knowing..

Appreciate it!

Thanks