Speakers vs Headphones

mattus123

Hey all,

Im taking a bit of a break from DJing and have decided to get stuck into the production side of things a bit more.

I have noticed on the gear im using at the moment (logitech speakers, or hd25 headphones) i am struggling with sub bass and clarity, so have decided its time to fork out on proper speakers (or possibly studio headphones).

What would you guys reccommend?

Open to all suggestions, fighting to the death encouraged :boxing:

You really need both imho

And yet even then when you take the track to a std hi-fi setup, you will notice big differences in the sub bass reproduction.

I run akg studio headphones and Yamiha HS80M monitors, then i bang the track in my car (and usually have to drop the low freq down in gain a bit)

hope that helps

Good set of monitors for sure... Not that I have experience with production but I have tinkered with audio shit for years. My M-Audio BX8 monitors sound very good. As good as some high end hi-fi gear I have heard over the years.

I love the sound of my hd25's to listen to music. I find their sound is sweet, but not a flat balanced sound that you want for production. I have some Alessandro MS -1's that have a very flat sound and would suit this better.

i have the mackie 6's for production and love them. for my small room size i think their great

i demoed a bunch and thought they were better than the krk's and pioneer for their size. although if ide done it again probs would have bout event 8's

good set of monitors win over headphones, but i doesn't hurt to have a good pair of headphones too. the hd25's will do the job.

krk's are pretty well priced these days but good bang for your buck are the Behringer Truths. I have 6" monitors and a krk 10" sub and the whole system kicks ass! the berrys are very good for about $400 for the pair

Cheers guys

Yea I was kinda thinking I'm gonna need to bite the bullet and get some monitors. If I went with the krk (or any other pair) route, would I need a sub, or should they be able to produce enough bass themselves?

A sub is nice but not a necessity. It helps with the low frequencies but there's all sorts of visualisers that help with that

i haven;t read though everyones post but seriously get speakers. if you prefer to produce headphones thats fine, obviously, but always check your mix (panning especially) on a good set of speakers before pushing it out.

i dont mind doing it in headphones, i quit like being able to work without generating too much noise outside of my room.

Im more worried about the harm having headphones on for hours will do, i have notice my ears are sometimes a bit sore after extended periods.. not sure if this is from the sound, or just the pressure put on my ears from the headphones clamping in.

Based on what everyone has said, ill jump on some speakers. What sort of set up would u guys recommend in terms of speakers? i know everyone has krks, are they actually that good, or am i jsut paying for the name?

just 2 speakers. 1 left, and 1 right. don't worry about a sub if you're working within a budget. the KRK's are ok, but i'd say head into your local music store and just have a listen to different ones and have a chat with the sales guys.

I have Behringer 6" Truths and they work sweet. i paid about 400 bucks for them too which is every better! i also got Fostex 8" somethings and they sound ok. i paid about $700 for the pair for those

^ Yeah, talking to the guys at your local music shop and testing out the speakers is definitely a great way to get all the info you need, plus the great thing about retail is that they'll give you a good deal. I personally have the 8" Behringer Truths, great things but they're a bit lacking in the top end, I'll get to that later.

If you're worried about not generating too much noise outside your room then that's actually quite a good thing, you should mix at lower levels. Mixing at lower levels is much more beneficial than mixing at higher levels. You don't piss off the household, your ears won't be as tired, the bottom and top end isn't hyped and you won't get any gross room reflections from mixing too loud.

About my speakers not having much top end, while your making your tune you'll find that it sounds perfect on the speakers. Everything sounds fantastic and you're happy with your product. Then you listen to the same song on a different source of sound and you'll find that it sounds terrible (eg, with my tunes it lacked top end). Impossible, right? How come it sounds good on your studio monitors but terrible everywhere else? Well, your monitors might not be as perfect as you think. When you make music on your monitors, it'll only sound good on your monitors. That's why you should listen to your music on different sources, take note of what's wrong with it on that particular source and fix it in your DAW. So having a pair headphones (and other sources of sound) is a good idea so that your track sounds good on a wide variety of headphones and speakers.

Just a bit of advice before you get pissed off at your speakers :P

From my research a while ago the KRK's are popular with DJ's because they are bass heavy (in comparison) and are not ideal for production. But saying that they have still got to be much better than regular stereo speakers and about a billion tines better than Logitechs.... Although I have not actually heard or compared them, just going off my research I did a when back.

From my research a while ago the KRK's are popular with DJ's because they are bass heavy (in comparison) and are not ideal for production. But saying that they have still got to be much better than regular stereo speakers and about a billion tines better than Logitechs.... Although I have not actually heard or compared them, just going off my research I did a when back.

the bass response is adjustable on the KRK's. they are good for production but as MrCh0w said you have test your tracks on various output sources to find the correct balance anyway.

They would definitely do a good job but also are far from the best studio monitors available (reflected in the price though)