DECENT BEGINNER SETUP ??

thecollector

hey guys,still wading through all the info here,much to take in.

ive had very little time using my mates setup and I'm thinking of buying a cheap setup to learn on,and my son has definitely shown some interest also.

I'm thinking -

PIONEER CDJ100 (X2)

BEHRINGER VMX100 OR PIONEER DTM 300S MIXER

unsure on amp and speakers atm

home use only,not looking to spend heaps as I don't know what I'm doing..

happy to learn on cd's at this point

this gear is getting old now but surely its good enough to learn the basics?

does this older gear need servicing/maintanence?

approximate prices/options for amp and speakers?

approximately how much will I need to spend on the above 2nd hand gear?

any help would be wild

cheers

DONT DO IT...!!!!....not the CDJ 100

That we're very low speck and cheep 8 years ago .....hard to mix on ..I hate them

I'm surprised that thay are still working...

If you are paying more than $20 ,you have played to much

How much do you want to spend.....I can do you a DJ set up cheep ...a good one

I can do you a Numark ns7 for $400 + shipping

I have up graded to a new Numark ns7 mk2 ..

Here a video mix ....me on the ns7 and a DDJ sp1

https://vimeo.com/80769750

Or a Numark HDX 80 gig hard drive player 12 turntable ...( serato c.d on hard drive ) with a new Akai AMX 2 channel serato midi mixer.....for $580 + shipping

A video mix on this setup ....and a iPad or laptop

https://vimeo.com/135015325

I have sold DJ setup and audio gear to people on ADJForums before

A edirol firewire sound card....a edirol 62 note midi keyboard.....pioneer DDJ t1 Traktor controller

You are right place ...right time

I know I'm new, but is that it, the cdj 100's are a complete waste of money?

any other recommendations out there?

cheers

The 100's are a big waste of money. Anything pioneer (cdj) that has USB and link (if you use rekordbox) would be recommended. Cdj 850 would be as far back as I'd go.

It all depends on your budget. If you tell us a ballpark figure we can help you out

cheers for the replies ,but I'm not spending $1000 + on something im not quite sure how to use.

im not looking for a career change just a secondary sideline interest.

got nothing else

That's not really the point

You don't buy a plastic guitar from toys-r-us if you want to play guitar when you're bored, you at least get a decent one

The worst situation is you actually enjoy DJing and want to upgrade your gear and finally get around to buying something decent (after having spent $500 on a piece of shit) and end up spending way more than if you just held out and bought something good in the first place

It's your call, but everyone here answering has either done what I just said or knew better (or are in the process of saving up again to upgrade whatever they've currently outgrown)

cheers for the replies ,but I'm not spending $1000 + on something im not quite sure how to use.

im not looking for a career change just a secondary sideline interest.

got nothing else

That's not really the point

You don't buy a plastic guitar from toys-r-us if you want to play guitar when you're bored, you at least get a decent one

The worst situation is you actually enjoy DJing and want to upgrade your gear and finally get around to buying something decent (after having spent $500 on a piece of shit) and end up spending way more than if you just held out and bought something good in the first place

It's your call, but everyone here answering has either done what I just said or knew better (or are in the process of saving up again to upgrade whatever they've currently outgrown)

I'll agree with Cupe here, as I've upgraded mixer's twice, and recently purchased a controller too. If you enjoy DJing, you'll end up like most of us, spending big bucks collecting gear that you like. You can never have enough gear though, there is nothing wrong with starting small and upgrading, and there is nothing wrong with starting big and adding onto that set up. Go into a place like Store DJ or Kosmic or equivilant stores and have a play, find what you're comfortable with, and if you buy everything in one go (CDJ's, Mixer, Monitors, Stands, ETC.) you'll usually cop a decent discount. Get to know the guys in the stores and ask questions do, don't buy on your first walk in!

cheers mate,

I get what your saying,but I cant afford a new Porsche yet,im happy with older gear to learn on and see how I go from there.

ill get what I'm after for what I'm willing to pay,i nearly always do,just need to look everywhere and be patient.

I'm looking for cdj 800's or 1000's now I think that's plenty good enough for around the $500 mark normally including a mixer.

cheers

it's not about comparing it to a porsche

it's about using sticks on upside down kitchen pots instead of a drum kit

A thousand bucks you'll want to upgrade within a year if you go through with what you want

there's a reason a shitload of DJs here are trying to tell you this

But always your call. gl w/ your search