Hip Hop Evolution

OxyKon

so the day after my work Christmas Party i was that hungover that i couldn't do anything other than watch Netflix, at the time all i felt like watching was the Fresh Prince, but stumbled upon this gem, wondering if any other hip hop heads on here has seen it, cause i was fucking HOOKED, watched all 5 episodes.

If you love hip hop, i highly recommend you watch this.

Calling @Cupe @wazza @eggssell @Duz @RichoKiddand any other hip hop heads i may have forgotten, check the series out!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

what i was disappointed with was they didn't highlight some other great artists like the feud between biggie and tupac, Mobb deep wasn't mentioned, and they stopped at NWA and didn't highlight many other west coast rappers, i mean i know they interviewed B-Real from Cypress but they didn't even go into detail about Cypress themselves, hopefully they will make a season 2 because there is still shit loads that they haven't even touched on

i just watched ep 5. yeah kind of ended abruptly.

they were meant to bridge kool herc to when hip hop started becoming mainstream and filling stadiums.

now i get NWA into Chronic got it into the mainstream charts and into suburbia. it still wasnt as everywhere as say 2000. so i think they needed to show post death row and bad boy, into roc-a-fella, no limit, cash money. where rap artists really became mainstream idols.

i guess it wasnt meant to be hip hop history, but more just showing its evolution and change.

i mean they didnt even touch the entire golden age, no native tongues!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im happy to bite....

IMO I think 'Scratch' is one hell of a doco of hiphop and djing in general. I used to watch this religiously!...even found a youtube video here....Your welcome :) 

Then going back to the roots, 'WildStyle' is awesome, watching Grand Master Flash cutting up in the I am a fagget, because apparently, that's where he had his decks setup, like it was just normal. Totally cool! It also has all the fundamentals of hiphop, being dj'ing, mc'ing, breakdancing/B-Boying and graffiti, so very cool, if not to see what it was like back in the day.

If your into scratching....'All this scratching is making me itch'....then you have the Q-Bert line up, I have all the dvd's somewhere and can find the names of them. Something like fix it yourself V1 and V2 and his skratchlopedia britannica

Then after that I found 'Scratch Vol 2' which from memory was a live set with some of my heroes, being Mix Master Mike, Z-Trip, X-ecutioners and Jazzy Jay. This opened my eyes up totally watching Z-Trips mix when he would drop hard rock in with HipHop (Led Zepplin, Steve Miller Band and Freestylers.) My brain just exploded like 'omg you can do that?!' but makes sense considering most bpm ranges.  There is also a bonus disc on 'Scratch Vol 1' where Z-trip shows you how to 'Rock a party' and I don't know how many times I watched that over and over again.  

Hope that helps and sorry if I have revived an old thread, but I think they are a great watch for anyone interested in turntablism and hip hop in general. Even making me consider setting up plex and throwing them up for you guys to watch.

Also im having a few brews atm so if Im doing something wrong please tell me and I will restrain myself :teef:

Cheers

52 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Lol wtf, cutting up in the....place that food is prepared.....changed to 'I'm a fagget' hmmm Oooookay then. 

Thats wild, looks like the food prep area autocorrects itself luls

hahaha yeah, there's little easter eggs like that all around the forum. it has a backstory but it's kinda boring

kitchen :teef:

1 hour ago, Cupe said:

hahaha yeah, there's little easter eggs like that all around the forum. it has a backstory but it's kinda boring

I am a fagget :teef:

Haha awesome, we used to do stuff like that at school on the teachers computer, change 'and' and 'we' for crude random words lol. 

Show off :rambo:

6 minutes ago, Cupe said:

We did it because a bunch of bots (or fuckwits) were signing up and doing huge spam posts linking to I am a fagget shops in the UK for some reason a long time ago.

Haha fair enough, yeah keep that riffraff crap out. It makes it harder to find information when it buried under a bunch of spam BS