best equipment to buy?

Yo, im thinking bout trying out to be a dj and was wondering whats the best equipment for a beginner to start off with, like laptop, turntable and mixer and what ever else i'd need

if ya'll could let me know that'd be sweet.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate.

Throw up something in the intro thread.

Your equipment will depend on which path you choose to go down.

Essentially, there a 3 options:

1) 2xCDJ's, Mixer & Headphones

2) 2xTurntables, Mixer, Headphones

3) MIDI Controller

Keep in mind, that you can use options 1 or 2 as stand alone units, or you can incorporate them with a software package like Traktor or Serato.

It's kind of like a replica of your decks and mixer, that is hooked up to you your laptop.

They're great, because they give you the chance to play all your music digitally, without the need to burn CD's or buy vinyl.

Try serching 'Traktor S4', 'VCI-100', and 'DDJ-T1'; they are just a few of the more popular makes.

kontrol S4 would be my pick for someone starting out, for the following reasons:

1) they are about $1k, so much cheaper than cdj's and a mixer

2) you don't need anything else except your laptop to get started (apart from speakers DUH!)

3) the software and controller are pretty damn awesome

4) if you get sick of it, and decide it's not your thing, you will still be able to sell it for good money and not lose too much

5) you can integrate control vinyl/cds at a later date if you wish

/2c

Hey mate.

Throw up something in the intro thread.

Your equipment will depend on which path you choose to go down.

Essentially, there a 3 options:

1) 2xCDJ's, Mixer & Headphones

2) 2xTurntables, Mixer, Headphones

3) MIDI Controller

Keep in mind, that you can use options 1 or 2 as stand alone units, or you can incorporate them with a software package like Traktor or Serato.

This ^ is right

CDJ's and mixer

normal_640cimg0505.jpg

Turntables and mixer

MA-DJ10W.jpg

Midi controller and Macbook

Native_Instruments_Traktor_Kontrol_S4_Flight_Case.jpg

they are about $1k, so much cheaper than cdj's and a mixer

only if your thinking about 2000's or something, plent of CDJ's for well under 1k

i honestly think he will be better off starting on something like these rather then software

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pioneer-CDJ-200s ... 884wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-Pioneer-CDJ20 ... 578wt_1139

from his answer he dont have a lappy. and buddy no you dont need a macbook, any laptop would do if you choose to use a MIDI controller, a DVS or software only.

as per djaz cheapest would be to find second hand gear no laptop. of this option cdj's will be cheaper only because of the media, i.e. you prob already have a stash as opposed to vinyl you woill need to build and/ or get lucky and find a bulk lot (has happened).

but that is going for the cheapest. my suggestion would be to go to a dj store or someone you know and have a play around.

then choose what method you actually want, and then look for the best you can of that method at a price you can afford. cuz reality is you may hate one style or you may really fall in love with one style. nah mean

if im honest man, connecting turntables to a laptop can be a massive hassle, somtimes burning 10 CD's with 20 songs each on them is just way easier...spesh when your just starting out

if its gonna be that much of a hassle you can look at CDJ400's or CDJ350's which will both connect to your computer and use your hard drive, both also take USB if you wanna go in that direction

but be prepared to fork out a fair bit more for 400's or 350's then 200's... (DJing is a very expensive hobby,you have been warned :P)

also, are you planning to be a mobile or a club dj?

also

if your having trouble choosing, or want some help deciding, feel free to ask us anything!

and or watch my zero to hero episodes.

they might help abit, thats the 3rd episode, so if you want to see more, have a look back at the previous ones!

so if im gunna hook it up to a laptop i should get a MIDI controller like a traktor s4 and if im not gunna hook it up to a computer i get 2 cdjs and a mixer and make cds?

whats better if you wanna make your own mix out of an original song?

if you wanna make you own mixes, you should be looking at getting a computer program such as ableton or acid pro or reason or whatever. they are your best bet for production/remixing.

a traktor s4 will connect to your computer but remember if your computer dies the s4 will not work on its own. however some cdjs such as the cdj350's will work without being connected to your computer too. this is something to take into account.

whats your price range?