Sennheiser HD-25's vs. Allen & Heath XD-53's

street

Ok, so I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD-25's and thought I'd compare them to my much beloved XD-53's as these 2 are the main heavy-weights in the DJ scene. These are the main characteristics I noticed when comparing the two.

HD-25's:

- Larger bass frequency presence.

- Kick punches through the mix a little harder.

- Better demonstrates the stereo imaging of the music. Sounds which are designed to sit wide on the headphones/speakers sit wider.

- Better isolation

XD-53's

- As a whole, the frequencies sound a fair bit crisper/cleaner.

- Very crispy hi-end frequency presence.

- Louder by a small margin (although this doesn't really matter that much).

- Snare is more natural sounding, and cuts through the mix a bit more.

I'm no expert, and if you're considering buying either of these I recommend you test them both out yourself, but I'd just thought Id give my little assessment of them.

good write up

speaker wear in is a load of shit sol lol before your headphones leave the factory they turn them up to maximum volume to make sure they have the right specs just like the others, probly get put threw stress tests to find faults, so you treating them like a baby for a week isnt gonna do anything

I tested both of these for quite some time at DJ warehouse, as well as the HDJ2000. I had every intention of buying the 2000s or the hd25s before I got there, based on other people's reviews.

after about an hour of solid listening (and hogging the djm2000 on display, which had just come out and every WHALE wanted to play on it while i was there :teef: ) I tested various aspects of all three, and ended up walking out with the XD53s.

I prefered the sound of the XDs, especially the low frequency stuff because of the larger driver. The HDs sounded pretty good too, but my preference went with the over ear headphones.

the HDJs are by far the most comfy of the lot, but didn't sound as nice.

anyway, it's largely personal preference.... forget brands and reviews, go test them out and see what works for you :)

• 1 month later...
i have to say, these hd-25s are very easy to wear for long periods, so light weight, i think i might be slowly converting

NOOOOOOO!!!!

KEK, proof is in le pudding bra....

But its still up to personal preference as they all do they same thing, some just feel different to others