New macbooks with no optical drives

SolDios

Claims of redesigned MacBook Pro models continue to surface ahead of the official launch of Intel's Ivy Bridge chips, and Digitimes now reports that slimmer versions of the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro are currently in production. Notably, the report claims that the MacBook Pro line will remain distinct from the MacBook Air line, with the new MacBook Pro models losing their optical drives but retaining more advanced specs than seen in the MacBook Air.

The MacBook Pro will no longer have an optical drive enabling thinner designs, the sources indicated. Despite the slim profile, the new devices will feature more advanced specs than the MacBook Air in terms of CPU performance and storage capacity, the sources said.

Production for the next-generation MacBook Pro has already begun with shipments to Apple kicking off in March, the sources noted. Monthly shipments will eventually climb to 900,000 units from the 100,000-150,000 units targeted initially, the sources said.

The report is very similar to one issued by Digitimes several weeks ago, but the new report offers the explicit claim that production on the new models has indeed begun.

For roughly a year we've been hearing word that Apple was working on a slimmer form factor for the MacBook Pro. Rumors have continued to pile up since that time, with some suggesting that Apple might gradually unify its notebook line with the release of a 15-inch "MacBook Air" in the near future being followed by a similar 17-inch model a few months later. But rumors have been split on whether Apple's larger notebooks would become true MacBook Airs or if they would retain the MacBook Pro name and more advanced specs while still adopting some of the MacBook Air design aesthetics.

So what do you think? Im personally not a fan, I use my DVD drive alot, sure you can bring an external, but it's nice to be able to just have one inbuilt.

I wonder if they will be merging the macbook air and macbook pro lines by doing this.

It's evolution, CD's are dead.

I haven't had the capacity (other than my macbook) to play CD's for the least 4 or 5 years. Can't even remember the last time I bought a CD.

I've burned a few CD's using my macbook but other than that I never use it. Handy to have one right enough.

only time i use cd drives is to use boot disks (which are moving to usb anyway) and to burn audio cd's for Dj'ing. Which will all move to usb once the 1000s die out

can't see a problem with it

I agree, USB is becoming cheaper and cheaper and will\has taken over CD as the portable format. Almost every new car radio player has USB on the front face or cable (even $100 ones). Why carry a 700MB CD when you can get a 16GB USB for $20 now and for most people have their entire music collection with them. I guess the next move is getting rid of USB for 99% of portable storage and then everything becomes cloud based. With 4G mobile networks starting to make it's appearance in Australia it probably will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

only time i use cd drives is to use boot disks (which are moving to usb anyway) and to burn audio cd's for Dj'ing. Which will all move to usb once the 1000s die out

can't see a problem with it

I agree, USB is becoming cheaper and cheaper and will\has taken over CD as the portable format. Almost every new car radio player has USB on the front face or cable (even $100 ones). Why carry a 700MB CD when you can get a 16GB USB for $20 now and for most people have their entire music collection with them. I guess the next move is getting rid of USB for 99% of portable storage and then everything becomes cloud based. With 4G mobile networks starting to make it's appearance in Australia it probably will happen.

my entire collection is digital now, my DDJ-T1 doesnt require CD's, and i have my whole playlist with different folders for different genre's it just allows you to not have to loug around that 800 cd folder with you that is as big as one of your CDJ's :P

video killed the radio star, and now digital has killed the cd star :teef:

• 1 month later...

Also re-cloud computing and storage thats years away, australia doesnt have the infrastructure for it, also considerable speed and privacy/safety issues with cloud, i think high capacity/hot swappable usb/hdds are the best way forward very hard to best local storage imo

Cars are five years away from what people are using cause they were designed five/seven years before production commences.

My Holden Cruze had no usb port only a 3.5 mil jack for external input.

Using a usb port on the new KIA Reo fucks up the Samsung phone (deletes bluetooth and contacts re install necessary) so use usb to cigarette lighter power supply and 3.5 external input

How dumb is that.

will be using my cd drive for the first time in ages, new car doesnt come with an aux port LOL

Sure? I'm pretty sure you can buy a cable to give the falcons an aux port

it has the stock standard sound system (good indicator the salesman was blowing wind up my ass when he said its had a single owner who was an old tradie) dont think it has one.

first thing im getting when i drive it home lol

will be using my cd drive for the first time in ages, new car doesnt come with an aux port LOL

Sure? I'm pretty sure you can buy a cable to give the falcons an aux port

it has the stock standard sound system (good indicator the salesman was blowing wind up my ass when he said its had a single owner who was an old tradie) dont think it has one.

first thing im getting when i drive it home lol

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentS ... DFYArticle