In need of a new laptop...whats the latest goodness

Bonz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had this asus for bout 2 years now..time to move on.

-i5 M450 2.4 CPU

-4gb RAM

-500gb HDD

this is pretty much it here.... http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_ ... ifications

its just not cuttin it nemore...

anyone got news on the latest??

hehe and before anyone says mac its already a no. :teef:

Unless willing to spend bulk coin for minor improvement you won't get much awfully better than that. Yeah, can go up a generation of CPU and 8gb ram. Both have greater impact on paper than they will in the real world.

How is that not cutting it? That would handle most applications except massive CAD/Rendering/graphics programs or gaming.

if you use it for work can't you write it off?

You can claim a certain percentage of depreciation over the following 3 years. Its not like you get all of it back and essentially a free laptop. But there are better tax experts than me here. I only know cause I did it a few years ago.

This thing looks bad ass!

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfi ... aign=sos_b

Details:

$1,999.00

Alienware M18x i7 18.4" Gaming Notebook

18.4" Full HD Backlit WLED with 16:9 aspect ratio (1920 x 1080)

2nd Gen Quad-Core i7-2670QM (2.2GHz) CPU

NVIDIA GeForce 1.5GB GTX 560M graphics card

8GB DDR3 RAM (expandable to 32GB)

Dual 500GB Hybrid (7,200rpm) hard drives that function like SSDs - 1TB total capacity

Impressive and immersive audio powered by Klipsh

Advanced-N 6200 a/g/n wireless functionality

Full-size backlit keyboard with numpad and five programmable macro buttons

3MP HD Webcam

12-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Dimensions (cm): 43.61(W) x 5.33(H) x 32.2(D)

Weight: 5.41kg

Personally im not a fan of alienware, they ask alot of money for what they are.

Not to mention your paying 2k for only 8gb ram (Yes I know it's enough, but for that cash you should be getting more)

This laptop is a pretty reasonable deal

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/co ... 781&cid=au

Lenovo THINKPAD EDGE E530 $674

Processor

Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)

Operating system

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Display type

15.6" W HD (1366x768) AntiGlare, Midnight Black

System graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M Graphics with 2GB VRAM (WWAN or mSATA capable)

Total memory

4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)

Pointing device

UtraNav

Hard drive

500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

Optical device

DVD Recordable

Battery

6 cell Li-Ion Battery 62WH - 75+

Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters

ThinkPad a/b/g/n Wireless & Bluetooth 4.0 (2x2 ABGN & BT 4.0)

Integrated mobile broadband

No Mobile Broadband support

Warranty

1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

Dell represent!

(i am a dell warranty tech)

Surely you would pay the Alienware premium though? Although, that is a pretty good deal (got to love catch of the day). Must be old stock but compared to the current offerings it is a good $1k cheaper.

This is a laptop for hardcore gaming nerds. I don't understand why people over-spec their computers when the basic ones are more than capable of doing what the majority of people do. I still maintain that their is nothing wrong with the OP's current laptop. Maybe clean out the crap that is slowing it down?

This laptop is a pretty reasonable deal

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/co ... 781&cid=au

Lenovo THINKPAD EDGE E530 $674

Processor

Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)

Operating system

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Display type

15.6" W HD (1366x768) AntiGlare, Midnight Black

System graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M Graphics with 2GB VRAM (WWAN or mSATA capable)

Total memory

4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)

Pointing device

UtraNav

Hard drive

500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

Optical device

DVD Recordable

Battery

6 cell Li-Ion Battery 62WH - 75+

Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters

ThinkPad a/b/g/n Wireless & Bluetooth 4.0 (2x2 ABGN & BT 4.0)

Integrated mobile broadband

No Mobile Broadband support

Warranty

1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

Which is practically identical to the one he already has.

And Bonz... As you said you want to up the screen size, why not just buy a monitor? Get a nice 23" for about $200 and then when set up you can have dual screen goodness. When on the move you have the portability of a 15" laptop. Just a suggestion.....

karms... [-X:teef:

yeah i would usually seeing as its my company as well, but this one i want solely for music.

i am so tired of buffer issues.

dflux that is intense bruh...ive never really tried alienware before tho..are they more for gaming?

fuddzy my last one was a dell and it was great! only thing it lacked was build quality tho.. screen hinges didnt last etc.

Sol ive heard alot of good things about lenovo (producing related) but yeah that is very close to what i already have...i sorta wanna up the game if im gunna buy something new.

DrC1 ive already cleaned out, i do it pretty often. still doest fix the screen size issue tho.

i already have a 24" asus screen, its more for when im on the move...the 13" screen i got now(while portable) wont even fit some VST's/plugins on the screen.

looking more around the 15" size.

the alienwares are a subsidary of dell, yes they are more aimed at gaming but that is mainly due to they have beast graphics cards and processors.

As due to the build quality, if you get an inspiron then yeh, the build quality on them is less than the xps, latitude and alienware range are decent quality. also next business day on site service for all warranty repairs.

I also do lenovo and apple warranty, they all have their good / bad models, and these 3 have best warranty terms, being on site instead of posting the machine away. Dell is probably even a bit better than the other two with promptness of sending the parts etc.

So yer alienwares are pretty boss if you wanna spend that cash. They also have 2 HDD bays which you can either configure as mirrored raid (so if one hdd dies it automatically fails over to the other drive without any data loss). Or configure as two separate drives for maximum storage (something to think about with all those samples & plugins).

If not alienware check the Dell XPS range, they are pretty boss too :thumright:

Hmmm... Cannot vouch for the vendor but to me this seems like an awesome deal...

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=9938&osCsid=d0199ec237cecabe158633eabfe79459

15.6" Asus N56VM R501VM-SPECIAL $1,399.00

Features :

FREE Ext. Subwoofer

Core i7 3610QM ~3.3GHz

16GB DDR3 RAM / 750GB SATA HDD

2GB NVIDIA® GT630M

Bluray Combo / DVD Writer

Wireless N / Bluetooth

HDMI / USB3.0

Windows 7 Premium 64bit

2 Years Global Warranty

Special Features:

Built-in Wireless Display

Full HD 1920x1080 Res.

To me a Bluray drive should now be standard. They are cheap now. 16Gb ram is massive and more than you will need. Plus a full HD (1080) screen on 15" monitor.

An equivalently specced Dell XPS is north of $1600. And I personally like Asus Laptops (along with higher spec Dells)

the alienwares are a subsidary of dell, yes they are more aimed at gaming but that is mainly due to they have beast graphics cards and processors.

As due to the build quality, if you get an inspiron then yeh, the build quality on them is less than the xps, latitude and alienware range are decent quality. also next business day on site service for all warranty repairs.

I also do lenovo and apple warranty, they all have their good / bad models, and these 3 have best warranty terms, being on site instead of posting the machine away. Dell is probably even a bit better than the other two with promptness of sending the parts etc.

So yer alienwares are pretty boss if you wanna spend that cash. They also have 2 HDD bays which you can either configure as mirrored raid (so if one hdd dies it automatically fails over to the other drive without any data loss). Or configure as two separate drives for maximum storage (something to think about with all those samples & plugins).

If not alienware check the Dell XPS range, they are pretty boss too :thumright:

truuuue those XPS's look bullshit. Although pretty pricy tho, i guess u get what u pay for. definitely keep in mind.

Hmmm... Cannot vouch for the vendor but to me this seems like an awesome deal...

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=9938&osCsid=d0199ec237cecabe158633eabfe79459

15.6" Asus N56VM R501VM-SPECIAL $1,399.00

Features :

FREE Ext. Subwoofer

Core i7 3610QM ~3.3GHz

16GB DDR3 RAM / 750GB SATA HDD

2GB NVIDIA® GT630M

Bluray Combo / DVD Writer

Wireless N / Bluetooth

HDMI / USB3.0

Windows 7 Premium 64bit

2 Years Global Warranty

Special Features:

Built-in Wireless Display

Full HD 1920x1080 Res.

To me a Bluray drive should now be standard. They are cheap now. 16Gb ram is massive and more than you will need. Plus a full HD (1080) screen on 15" monitor.

An equivalently specced Dell XPS is north of $1600. And I personally like Asus Laptops (along with higher spec Dells)

This is true....that asus is ridiculous...how can it be so cheap??

i love my original asus, never fails me through all the abuse.

this one is lookin pretty sweet.

and i can always go to there store, its on george st.

not sure if it contributes much as lenovo doesnt seem to be on your cards.

but ive had two lenovos in the last six years from work. and they are both doggs balls compared to my perso laptop; an asus thats about 6 years going on 7 (dual core 2.33Ghz, 4GB Ram, 80 GB HD, XP).

start up, browsing, excel, PDF rendering, everything. runs so much better on the asus.

i mean i only got my latest lenovo only last year (thinkpad T410 with an i5 2.53Ghz, it says 2.98GB RAM??) and it still runs shitter than a machine 5-6 yrs older.

with the experience ive had i would never personally buy a lenovo. could be just work buys the cheap ones but yeah i think they are slow as buggery.