How to get smooth transitions.

Hi!

I have been getting back into DJing for the past few days, buy buying new tracks and trying out some mixes. Unfortunately I can never get a smooth transition. I do the usual, meaning:

1. Have track playing deck 1.

2. Pick a track in mixable key according to Camelot wheel, and similar bpm.

3. Load the track onto deck 2 and cue it up on the first beat.

4. Wait until track on deck 1 gets to the ending.

5. Play deck 2.

6. Mix using the upfaders.

Never works out. :fuuuu:

I really need some advice on getting a smooth transition.

finding ones with similar BPM aint enough (even if it says exactly the same). you should still pitch it until they are matched.

and once you start the second track still listen to see if it needs tweaking to match up as you may have been a split second too quick or too slow. (cant rmember if you on CDs or vinyl).

EDIT: oh yeah and dont forget phrasing

years of practice........

i tend to drop the 2nd track in my headphones from beat 1 a few times and listen to the mix, adjust pitch accordingly, forget bpm's they give you a rough idea, but in my experiance nothing beats a good ear!

to learn i suggest using 2 of the same track, get used to dropping the beat in time, this is how i discovered juggling :)

hip hop may not be your thing, but i think all mixing uses these principles.

hope this helps

This is not my type of music so maybe I'm missing something but if you were actually mixing two songs together then they sounded reasonably competent to me.

Can you explain what you think is wrong with these recordings?

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve with your transitions?

This is not my type of music so maybe I'm missing something but if you were actually mixing two songs together then they sounded reasonably competent to me.

Can you explain what you think is wrong with these recordings?

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve with your transitions?

Well in my opinion my transitions are a little bit too obvious.

For example if you take a look at skrillex transitions:

Or even Tiesto:

Yeh agree w overit not sure what particularly you finding wrong?

In the number two you could almost hear a double hit but it was so minute and recovered not even worth fussing.

Is it maybe energy and feel of your mixes you not liking?

dont be afraid to post a bomb and get advice. My second mix CBG ripped me apart (i cried :teef: ) but his advice was perfect.

nek next mix was hella better based on what he told me.

Or even Tiesto:

hmmmmm....sumthin wrong with yer links... but anyway:

Your transitions will always sound obvious to you because you know exactly what is about to happen.

Other DJs transitions will sound more surprising to you because what comes next is always unknown.

If I understand what you are trying to achieve (and assuming this isnt a troll thread) then the only advice I can offer is:

Choose songs with bigger breaks or drops. Mix them so you know that at the end of the transition you are fading over to the tune about to drop. That way each transition ends in a drop, break or at least a recognisable hook from a song.

and as eggs said: post a really bad one for really good advice.

Or even Tiesto:

hmmmmm....sumthin wrong with yer links... but anyway:

Your transitions will always sound obvious to you because you know exactly what is about to happen.

Other DJs transitions will sound more surprising to you because what comes next is always unknown.

If I understand what you are trying to achieve (and assuming this isnt a troll thread) then the only advice I can offer is:

Choose songs with bigger breaks or drops. Mix them so you know that at the end of the transition you are fading over to the tune about to drop. That way each transition ends in a drop, break or at least a recognisable hook from a song.

and as eggs said: post a really bad one for really good advice.

Yeah I guess something's wrong with it, tried fixing already. Didn't work...

Actually I think you are right, I should know when there are transitions.

Not a troll thread.

Good advice on that last bit, I've never thought of it that way.

Thanks!

:safe:

In detail then:

Let's say the song playing is "song 1" and the song you are going to play is "song 2"

You have to work out exactly when in song 1 to start playing song 2 so that the drop in song 2 occurs just after some breakdown or change in song 1. It is known as mixing with the "arrangement" where I come from. It takes a bit of practise to find the best point in song1 to start song 2, that is where your individual creativity is applied. This is what makes DJs different to auto players.

let us know how you get on and feel free to post more mixes for feedback.