Beginner - HELP/SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

fpearson

Excited to get into playing around with music the real way on direct drive turntables with vinyl records preferably hip hop - just need some pointers on:

1.) What would be the best turntables to get to begin with?

2.) What other equipment is needed for basic mixing, scratching etc.

3.) Best online websites for cheap records?

4.) Any other information that would be helpful for someone like me that is starting from complete scratch. I need to know all there is to know!

Help would be immensely appreciated!

Peace

The bare essentials is two turntables, a mixer, some speakers and a set of headphones.

You then can either buy records, or buy a timecode system such as traktor or serato and use your computer as the source of the tracks.

Did you have a budget in mind?

PS First post! welcome. Feel free to post up an intro in the introductions section, so people know who you are :)

A time code set-up for vinyl is also great

Saves you HEAPS of money in the long run, and is very convenient.

Id probably recommend getting a second hand SL1.

Not sure as to what to get turntable wise, not really my area. I am however thinking of getting two second hand pioneer 3500 turntables to get basic experience in everything.

My friend has two citronic turntables and loves them, he prefers them to technics's.

Eggs, wazza, imadge and all the other turntableist's would have better views than me though.

A time code set-up for vinyl is also great

Saves you HEAPS of money in the long run, and is very convenient.

Id probably recommend getting a second hand SL1.

Not sure as to what to get turntable wise, not really my area. I am however thinking of getting two second hand pioneer 3500 turntables to get basic experience in everything.

My friend has two citronic turntables and loves them, he prefers them to technics's.

Eggs, wazza, imadge and all the other turntableist's would have better views than me though.

Thanks dude!

Can you explain a bit more about what a time code set up is? and whats the SL1?

Sorry haha i have absolutely no knowledge in this field

In a nut shell, you have all your music files on your laptop in something like Serato or Traktor. These programs come with a sound card and Timecode Vinyl records and Cd's which you use like a normal record or cd. You hook your turntables and mixer up to the sound card and than your sound card to your laptop. Open up either Traktor/Serato (whichever one you use) and now you have full access to all your digital music but with the feel of using vinyl. Instead of having to buy new vinyl you can just buy your songs off the internet, load them up on your computer and play them as if they were vinyl.

Hope this helps

Alright, you hook your turntables up to a special box before it goes to the mixer, and play timecode records on your turntables

Next your software (Traktor, serato, torq, blablabla) will detect when it's playing, and play the sound to the mixer.

When you scratch, it manipulates the audio file as if you had it in vinyl.

This allows you to drag and drop songs onto your decks, and play them as if they where vinyl

The SL1 is the "Special box" or you could get an audio 6 or something.

Just a quick question, have you ever dj'd before, what experience do you have, what makes you want to do vinyl?

If your looking to get into clubs, CDJ's would be a better option

Edit: Looks like hobberz beat me to the explanation.

In a nut shell, you have all your music files on your laptop in something like Serato or Traktor. These programs come with a sound card and Timecode Vinyl records and Cd's which you use like a normal record or cd. You hook your turntables and mixer up to the sound card and than your sound card to your laptop. Open up either Traktor/Serato (whichever one you use) and now you have full access to all your digital music but with the feel of using vinyl. Istead of having to buy new vinyl you can just buy your song off the internet, load them up on your computer and play them as if they were vinyl.

Oh sweet, so basically the timecode records save me having to track down and find actual records to play and use

Cheers mate!

A Timecode system is where your turntables are hooked up to your computer with a special record on the decks. You can then use songs from your computer, and manipulate them as if they were on that record. A lot of people use it to retain the feel of using vinyl, but use it over records because:

-they can't get alot of tracks on vinyl anymore

-vinyl is too expensive for them

-it is easier to carry around a laptop than a crate of records

They are just some of the reasons.

When soldios referred to 'SL1' he is talking about a Serato SL1 Box. It is one timecode soundcard that you can buy which will do what i said above.

The main two timecode systems that most use are either made by serato or traktor.

To give you a basic idea on how it works, here is a (basic) diagram:

traktorts_setup.jpg

EDIT: got beaten to it, but will post anyway so you can see the diagram and some advantages

Alright, you hook your turntables up to a special box before it goes to the mixer, and play timecode records on your turntables

Next your software (Traktor, serato, torq, blablabla) will detect when it's playing, and play the sound to the mixer.

When you scratch, it manipulates the audio file as if you had it in vinyl.

This allows you to drag and drop songs onto your decks, and play them as if they where vinyl

The SL1 is the "Special box" or you could get an audio 6 or something.

Just a quick question, have you ever dj'd before, what experience do you have, what makes you want to do vinyl?

If your looking to get into clubs, CDJ's would be a better option

Edit: Looks like hobberz beat me to the explanation.

Thanks anyway dude! Still helped!

Experience wise i have none, i have never properly DJ'd before but i have always wanted to do it through vinyl, i guess it comes from my love of old school hip hop etc. and im not interested in playing in clubs or anything for now. i guess i just want to gain skill and knowledge of turntabling with records before i move onto all the new age stuff :)

A Timecode system is where your turntables are hooked up to your computer with a special record on the decks. You can then use songs from your computer, and manipulate them as if they were on that record. A lot of people use it to retain the feel of using vinyl, but use it over records because:

-they can't get alot of tracks on vinyl anymore

-vinyl is too expensive for them

-it is easier to carry around a laptop than a crate of records

They are just some of the reasons.

When soldios referred to 'SL1' he is talking about a Serato SL1 Box. It is one timecode soundcard that you can buy which will do what i said above.

The main two timecode systems that most use are either made by serato or traktor.

To give you a basic idea on how it works, here is a (basic) diagram:

traktorts_setup.jpg

EDIT: got beaten to it, but will post anyway so you can see the diagram and some advantages

cheers man :) diagram really helps, i will have to start asking questions about all the cables and stuff i will need when it comes around to buying this gear, cheers

i guess i just want to gain skill and knowledge of turntabling with records before i move onto all the new age stuff :)

Learn the proper way. =D>

I use vinyl and traktor but much prefer having tracks on vinyl. Traktor is good because obviously not everything is released on vinyl these days. Good for unreleasaed stuff you may pick up from soundcloud or that.

Thanks for the compliment sol but im not a turntablist. I do however use turn tables.

Hey fpearson. What state you from?

I think the holmies above have digital vinyl systems (dvs) i.e. Using timecode, pretty much covered. One thing to note, while in the long run it makes buying music cheaper, keep in mind it assumes you have a laptop/ computer to use. Which isnt always the case.

Because for the cost of a laptop and a dvs you can buy a shyte load of second hand records.

Anyways in regard to your other q's, while any turntable and mixer will work there are some tips. As you mention definitely go direct drive.

If you intend to do a wigga wigga, then torque is arguably important (the force the platter will spin at getting back to full speed). However since technics 1200 dont have the best torque yet was for many years the favoured TT, this requirement is arguable. But definitely aim for something that at least has the torque of 1200's, though a lot of people use less cupe has the t80's and he goes aiight.

In terms of which tables. Obviously the 1200's; and then there are the superOEM who all modelled after the 1200. Search the forum for that term to get a list. Then there are cheaper models like the stanton t90/80 and numark ones. All of which will still do the job.

Also with the wigga wigga, its nice to have a good cross fader. Again you can get away without it, its just a nice to have.

I wasnt being lazy just at lunch and rushing else would have got list for you.

In terms of rekkids, which state you from.

Syd got record store, 112, i think victor lopez records has reopened somewhere all of which do hip hop. Jb in galleries vic also have plenty.

And dont forget second hand stores, vinnies, and record fairs.

Online there is juno, turntablelab, discogs. I wouldnt necessarily say cheap though.

In regards to tips.... Ummm as in other posts i totally suck balls at mixing hip hop.

I bought the roc raida dj guide which is pretty good. And so is the extra bit of the documentary scratch where ztrip does a tutorial. I love this tute. Doesnt translate to me learning but the concepts are in my head.

Tips on scratching, i think there is a sticky in beginners. But yeah look up dj angelo's tutorials. Whats good with these is he runs it so you can play along.

thanks for that website Defkon, loving it already!

@eggssell. at the moment i have just a standard acer aspire laptop, which i reckon should be able to handle most programs etc. but for the long

term it seems the macbooks are the dj laptop of choice, do you have any experience with these?

I live in canberra, so the best options are really just online websites and as you said vinnies is quite good aswell

As for turntables, what torque is suitable for a beginner? i have been looking at citronic turntables in the 1-2kg torque range, and there is also the 4kg torque option which is alot more expensive.

I would love to rock out on technics, but good deals are hard to track down. alot of people selling them on ebay are asking for 500-600 per turntable, so not really sure if its worth it.

Otherwise i found an alright deal on software, turntables, and a mixer. like i have mentioned before i dont have any experience with brands or anything so if you have a good idea on this stuff let me know

If you have time check this out

http://www.djcity.com.au/packages/dj-pa ... k-mk2/1418

i havent used mixvibes wazza is your man.

give me a tick to relook what torque is what, and find that super OEM list.

that is def a cheap price. but last thing you want is to end up with gear you'll replace in less than 12 months. so hold up a tick. also check ebay and trading post, as feb & march should be around the time some lucky people whose parents bought them fresh gear but they have now decided sailing yachts is more fun, will be flogging it off.

whats yer budget again?

i cant find the original list of OEM tables i found on skratchworx but here is a list from scratchlounge. hope its accurate. so all of these tables all have the same basic guts, but each will have there own variations on materials used, pitch levels, other features.

so all of these tables should be good. also look out for vestax brand. it is the choice of qbert and a lot of the turntablists who were not happy with techs.

note ive only ever used stanton st120's, st150's and tech 1200 mk2's. so cant make any personal recommendations

Synq XTRM1

Stanton T.120/T.120C

Reloop RP6000

Stanton STR8-150/ST 150

Akiyama Acura

Citronic PD45

Omnitronic DD5250

American Audio HTD4.5

taken from here

http://www.skratchlounge.com/index.php? ... urntables/

i notice that the citronic model you have linked is not listed. which means it is probably of a lesser torque.

okay torque

techs 1.5 kg

stanton st 120/ 150 4.5 kg

so the OEMs above should all have roughly the same as the stantons. as you can see, if techs were good enuff for the best then you should be fine with anything around 1.5 kg.

note, torque isnt everything though. there is wow and flutter (ability to keep constant speed); start and stop speed; that pitch control thing where you can speed a record up but keep the same pitch (though usually sounds synthetic) and so on and so on.

also when you looking make sure to check whether they are loaded with cartridges and keep that cost in mind if they arent.

in the end if you stick to one of the ones above, or a lower model from stanton like the T80's you should be okay.

Super OEM's won't last long, so in the hands of a newbie hiphopper will probably be fucked quite quickly.

For hiphop the flutter and wow will be less of a problem, and even less of a problem if going the DVS route.

I'd agree with eggssell with the recommendation, but I would also make a note that the decks if abused heavily they may or may not make it through a year.

my mate got his st120's second hand, and they get extensive wear from a million hands (dudes house was a bit of a hangout for wannabe djs who always took the chance to hop on), and they lasted a few years. in fact are still alive but hidden somewhere as the holmie inherited 3 1200's.

and ive had my st150's for 2 years. but yeah i use them 10-15 times a year for djing (and maybe another 10-15 times just listening to rekkids).

so i think the stantons are quite robust. whether theyll still be working in 10-20 years, ill have to wait and see.