I'm an idiot and I've potentially ruined my new mixer. Help?

Banderas

DJM350 arrived today after a couple of weeks waiting and I was super eager to have a play.

Unfortunately though, I'm pretty sure I've blown something due to voltage differences...

I connected both CDJ's up without a problem, however I noticed the plug that came with the DJM was American. I've just recently come back from America though and had a universal adapter sitting right beside me. I didn't take into consideration the differences in voltage between the countries though and connected it up via the adapter.

Powered it on and it was lit up briefly before all the lights turned off again. Now there's no sign of power throughout the mixer.

Fucking stupid of me, but I'm new to all of this and wasn't thinking.

Just how badly have I potentially damaged it?

I feel awful right now. :(

Mixer could be fucked but not by your fault?

Eh, as much as I'd like to use this excuse - I doubt it.

There is a warning in the manual (that I didn't notice until it was too late) stating that the cables may cause issues depending on region etc.

I just assumed it would work seeing as I did have it shipped to Australia. If it were really an issue, surely they would've supplied the correct cable for the country they were sending it to? Apparently not though.

The all important question: Did the mixer let out its magic smoke?

All electrical equipment contains some magic smoke. If this smoke is released. WHALE is fucked.

Why bother with a transformer, get another adapter that outputs the same voltage, but using the Australian 240V.

This doesn't make sense?

The all important question: Did the mixer let out its magic smoke?

All electrical equipment contains some magic smoke. If this smoke is released. whale is fucked.

Why bother with a transformer, get another adapter that outputs the same voltage, but using the Australian 240V.

This doesn't make sense?

Ah my bad In thought OP mean't that one of these adapters was used:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKXjhObEauVPBTKbYvVg0W5FKtQ8OwcoAVzZIEMA5bN_GdfrOc

if you didnt see the "magic smoke" jarred mentions then you may be lucky: chances are high you only blew an internal fuse.

if you are really really lucky the adaptor (if it has one) or any extension cable (if you are using one) may be the thing that has blown a fuse.

If it is the DJM 350 then any Pioneer registered or reasonable electronics repair service can replace them easily enough, and should test if anything else went wrong. They should also advise what transformer or adaptor you need to make it work.

You could have a go at researching and repairing yourself but I tried a quick google and only found retailers for parts. (lappy is low on batt or would have looked deeper). If you do it yourself you also invalidate your warranty (if is new) but I am aware some of you live miles from suitable repair services so it may be your only option.

IMHO you are also correct: It is odd that you got an item shipped to you which wouldn't work at your countries voltage, but now you have learnt (the hard way) to read the manual.

• 2 months later...