Recording your mix..

ill_spector

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. you can play a mix in a club and it will sounds fine, because it is so loud and alot of low end...

play that exact same mix through your computer speakers and youll notice the fuck ups. because the mid and high end dosent have to compete with all the low end sub bass. so if your kicks are the tinest bit out youll notice through the computer speakers, but through a big system it will seem like your doing a flawless mix :)

johnny is bang on the money i use to wonder the same thing till resident dj said this

if u got cash get some monitors that are suitable and a good set of headphones, then u should be sweet, the monitors will give u a clean sound where u will hear all aspects of the music, esp if u get decent ones u dont have to spend big money on monitors for djing to get a good set.

ahhhk

explains alot then

how would u record a perfect mix then

alot of podcasts are all in time

when you hear mixes on the radio, there all recorded on computer mate, not live so they can get everything perfect

but gandy thats still recorded live, usually from the booth/record out of the mixer into a recording device (or soundcard).

the non-beatmatching issues has nothing to do with how you record it right?

hmmm i dont know, i dont think all radio/ podcast mixes are done that way.

Fabric Live compilations are done from in the club

Diplos short lived podcast were definitely done live

the Roshambo guests on FBI radio always mix it live

As is the Mixup guest on the J's

In fact when people say a guest mixer is coming in im pretty sure its live right?

i think we might be talking about slightly different things. Im not sure bout podcasts (would assume there done live/inhouse on hardware) as they usually do requests/talk etc and couple of podcasts ive seen live, well there live lol

umm im more talking about you know how the pop radio stations do like friday/sat nite club sets after 9pm?? those oens are the ones done on computer/software pre recorded etc, just wanted to try explain that to bruno but epically failed lol

lol

thats true

im talking about podcasts though that are recorded in clubs

ex. kalus live at wah wah

with the speakers that are used in the clubs you would not be able to hear

if the kick is slightly out but when you listen to the recorded version its perfect

how would you autosync on ableton though??

btw thanks for the help guys

nah its all recorded on computer, no decks/hardware invovled so they can get everything perfect (auto sync, equalising etc)

basically it HAS to be perfect for radio mixes so software/computer is what they use, which is fair enough imo

i disagree, our mixes for tomy's radio were done live.

i remember listning to rusko's radio 1 mix and it goes out somewhere halfway through....proving that was done live.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah man I did. You can even do it without the USB Sound card, but then you can't listen through monitors so the only sound you get is from the headphones.

If you don't have the USB sound card just do this:

System Preferences > Sound

Then down the bottom it says 'Use Audio Port For:'

And just change that from output to input

• 2 months later...

Okay so i have been trying to record a mix for the last couple of hours....

I have a MBP 13" and i have the input in the headphone port and i have changed the setting to use the sound output for a sound input and it still wont work. I tryed garage band as well and it didnt work.

Frustrating me haha

Any help guys?

<3

Vaughn

• 1 month later...

gremm1s record out is not controlled by the master but it is affected by the gains.

and jaz it is not necessarily the same as what is coming out on the speakers. i.e. if you turn master all the way to zero but your gains and channel faders are up it will still record (assuming you have a record out seperate to your master out).