Building your own pa speakers

SolDios

Hey guys, been looking around recently and I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss/might bring more traffic to our forums.

Building your own pa speakers.

Seems like an interesting idea, and could work out for the better.

I mean second hand celestion drivers + a nice compression driver, you can also pick up amps to sit in the back of them if you want them powered.

so whats your opinion?

• 2 years later...

Gday, new to the forum, but I'm passionate about all things sound and I am also a believer that ordinary users can build their own, excellent sounding PA systems, to the benefit of both their wallets and their ears :)

To do this successfully, most people will need to acquire and adhere strictly to design plans that have been designed by qualified and experienced engineers. Enter the likes of Bill Fitzmaurice (aka BFM) and Jim Holtz. A google search of either of these two individuals will bring those interested to access (via a small fee for Bill, free for Jim) to tried and tested plans for a wide array of pro sound PA options, of varying degrees of build difficulty. In the case of BFM, there are a range of affordable (even in Aus if you do your research on where to source drivers from ie- parts express), and relatively easy-to-build cabs that someone with little or no woodworking experience can build successfully if they follow the plans. From the research I have done, it would seem that there are very few systems (if at all) that can match the performance of a well executed BFM system for the equivalent price range.

I myself have just started a build plan consisting of 2 T30's and 2 Otop 12's (please refer to BFM website/forums). There are many very experienced people on those forums who are willing to share their expertise with us n00bs for the our very great benefit.

Hopefully this information will benefit someone out there :)

Cheers,

Dan

Gday, new to the forum, but I'm passionate about all things sound and I am also a believer that ordinary users can build their own, excellent sounding PA systems, to the benefit of both their wallets and their ears :)

To do this successfully, most people will need to acquire and adhere strictly to design plans that have been designed by qualified and experienced engineers. Enter the likes of Bill Fitzmaurice (aka BFM) and Jim Holtz. A google search of either of these two individuals will bring those interested to access (via a small fee for Bill, free for Jim) to tried and tested plans for a wide array of pro sound PA options, of varying degrees of build difficulty. In the case of BFM, there are a range of affordable (even in Aus if you do your research on where to source drivers from ie- parts express), and relatively easy-to-build cabs that someone with little or no woodworking experience can build successfully if they follow the plans. From the research I have done, it would seem that there are very few systems (if at all) that can match the performance of a well executed BFM system for the equivalent price range.

I myself have just started a build plan consisting of 2 T30's and 2 Otop 12's (please refer to BFM website/forums). There are many very experienced people on those forums who are willing to share their expertise with us n00bs for the our very great benefit.

Hopefully this information will benefit someone out there :)

Cheers,

Dan

hey dan, i see it is your first post, great to see you on the site! We all look forward to hearing from you as you sound pretty savvy

jump over to the introduction section and drop us alittle info about yourself, its also a great way to meet other frequent users.

viewforum.php?f=5

thanks

AlexJ

A mate of mine is a speaker building mad scientist! Always making new enclosure types and flat panel mount floorstanders. His latest addition was 2 powered 15" home theatre drivers in individual 2 meter high tower boxes. I'll get some pics of his work.

All his designs are made of raw finish mdf, because he never keeps a design long enough to trim the damn things!

• 3 years later...

What if you had designs that could be built cheaply with tools available at your local skilltrading warehouse - i.e hackerspace in brisbane?

I've followed quite a few builds from http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/ and I've seen some really decent designs which you can get super cheap normal car subs to perform above level from what you'd want... I'd be super interested to see what anyone would be keen on building.

I have however ran into a sound design engineer who builds speakers for a living and apparently the equipment and expertise to tuning them is one of those things which leaves the field relatively undesirable, anyone got any pointers on this too? technology/usage capacity needed after building, etc?