New DJ & Hardware vs Software

DionDJ

Hi All,

I'm new to DJing, about 8 years ago my friend introduced me to it on his vinyl decks and mixer and i have been wanting to get serious. Since then i have played around with friends equipment & decided to get my own gear and get into it.

I bought 2x CDJ900's and a Denon DN X1600. I was racking my brain on whether to get a Pio DJM700 or the Denon..... basically from the information I got I came to the conclusion that Pio is the industry standard, but the Denon DN X1600 got a better review so i went with that.

(If anyone has any info I would be grateful to hear some feedback from you guys).

Also, i really just muck around with my hardware, but read a lot about good software (Traktor - Serato etc). I have done a party or 2 and mostly am a bit of a bedroom DJ but just love doing it, however i really just mix one track to the other with some minimal effects at this stage (i have only had my gear about a month). Would it be a good idea to invest in these software programs and see what they have to offer, or would this not be of much benefit to me at this stage.

Software is great as it can give you great ease in selecting tracks, especially with 900's, everything is mappable.

Go get a traktor pro demo and see how you like it, and if you do, it's only about $100 to buy.

Personally im loving software, just keep a backup plan incase your laptop fails.

Hi man, welcome to the forums :safe:

Very nice setup you have.

As far as whether to get software or not, it's not needed, especially with hardware like the cdj 900s. You can use the 900s with usbs or computer with recordbox link to your computer without buying any extra software.

As for whether software will benefit your learning, it definitely isn't necessary to have software to learn how to dj properly. however it does have the benefit of easy access to a large collection of tunes.

If you want more people to see your question and answer it, feel free to post a more specific question in the relevant thread section, we tend to keep this section just to intros.

Hope you stick around :)

Thanks guys for your help guys!

Sorry about the Q's in the wrong spot, i re-post in the right section.

Just quickly in response to Mitch & SolDios - I have set-up my rekordbox and it's great! I guess one of the reasons I was asking about software is that when i hear about "auto sync etc" it's kinda off putting when your putting in the work to get everything beat matched and mixed properly.... but someone with that software can come in and "Auto Sync" and boom..... perfect transition.

I'll hit up the guys in the right section, because i wouldn't mind getting some views on what people think.