Do you think the price of 1200's will go up over the years?

ruggs

yes and no. IMO

a technics that is in regular use (club or dj use) will not value upwards much more of what it can go for on ebay. especially as parts will eventually run out, and the number of skilled servicing reduces. hence only a collector will be assed to fit it out. youll still be able to get good money for these (i.e what you may have bought them for assuming they workable), but they wont value upwards.

on the other hand, those in top nick and house used only for playing music. will likely value a lot. kind of like when i looked for ghetto blasters and mint condition conics could go for over a thousand dollars. but used conics where the tape player was no longer working was worth a lot (when you consider how much would have been paid for the orig), but not crazy and not trending upwards.

• 2 months later...
I know the value of my 1210's has certainly dropped... they've seen lot of action. They work perfectly but not so perfect on the cosmetic front.

Reckon I'll upgrade to a set of MK5's or something soon.

Just out of interest, why would you want mk5's?

as long as the tone arm isn't bent & hasn't had the bearings played with (& still tracks good) then there isn't a great benefit to getting mk5's. Internally, they are almost exactly the same as mk2's. If you are handy with a soldering iron then you can even mod mk2's to have the same features as the mk5.

If all you are worried about is built up grunge, I'll put up a 'how to dissasemble your turntable 100% and clean all the things' thread some point in the near future. If you're worried about paint coming off etc then dissasemble & take the top aluminium bit to a car detailing place and give them $50 to powder coat it in your colour of choice. nek minit, brand new flash looking techs :D

as long as the tone arm isn't bent & hasn't had the bearings played with (& still tracks good) then there isn't a great benefit to getting mk5's. Internally, they are almost exactly the same as mk2's. If you are handy with a soldering iron then you can even mod mk2's to have the same features as the mk5.

If all you are worried about is built up grunge, I'll put up a 'how to dissasemble your turntable 100% and clean all the things' thread some point in the near future. If you're worried about paint coming off etc then dissasemble & take the top aluminium bit to a car detailing place and give them $50 to powder coat it in your colour of choice. nek minit, brand new flash looking techs :D

^^ all sounds like too much hard work when I can just buy a newer set. Always handy to have a couple of sets of decks about the house anyway. :thumright:

• 3 months later...

1200s in good nick will definately appreciate!

Even battered 1200/1210s that have been serviced will hold their value - replacement parts are readily available.

Just bought a 3rd 1200 for $550 the other month - got it services for $99 and now its working better than my brand new 1200s i purchased early 2010.

1200s in good nick will definately appreciate!

Even battered 1200/1210s that have been serviced will hold their value - replacement parts are readily available.

Just bought a 3rd 1200 for $550 the other month - got it services for $99 and now its working better than my brand new 1200s i purchased early 2010.

Oh legunner was replying to this (was wondering about the zombieing).

But even there you got one for 550 last year. In 2009 when i was looking, cheapest i found was 600 unloaded. Basically going rate for a useable one (possibky no dust cover) was around 750. And i searched every two days for six or seven months. Got snipered heaps too. Whales!

So market hasnt really moved in 3 years, in fact could be even cheaper

yer, i'm kinda counting on it.

I have my 1210s earmarked as paying for a holiday on the day I retire LOL!

They have been gigged a lot but always transported in flightcases.

They have twice been fully (professionally) serviced which included replacing the damned audio cables which always get scrappy.

They have never been modified with dumb lights or other ish.

In fact they are as solid and dependable now as when I bought them 16 years ago.

They are now happily mothballed in my studio where they get used maybe once/twice a season.

I don't think they will appreciate value anytime soon. But give it 20/30 years and who knows what kind of old skool revivalists will be about looking to relive the past. plus of course: the rarer they are the more they are worth.

cant see them going up that much, the legendary emu sp1200 only fetches upwards of $2000 on ebay, they stopped producing them in the early 90's. even with its cult status (thanks to public enemy and Pete Rock!)

saying that, I still badly want a pair of 1200's. anyone want to swap for the technically superior vestax pdx2000?

i wont hold my breath

They probably will appreciate. The Roland TR-808 costs and arm and leg nowadays so I'm guessing in 10 years the Technics will be the same

TB-303's are the worst. talking about $2500 for a unit that cost about $500 when it came out in 1982.

I reckon these are a different thing though. The roland units have iconic sounds that still cant really be reproduced by digital means. Technics are iconic to look at but not really essential in a studio for the sound quality.

They probably will appreciate. The Roland TR-808 costs and arm and leg nowadays so I'm guessing in 10 years the Technics will be the same

TB-303's are the worst. talking about $2500 for a unit that cost about $500 when it came out in 1982.

I reckon these are a different thing though. The roland units have iconic sounds that still cant really be reproduced by digital means. Technics are iconic to look at but not really essential in a studio for the sound quality.

Yeah thats true but they do have iconic status which goes a long way for the value rising as time goes on.