connecting a PC to the TV

lloydc

just wondering what the best way of doing this would be?

am i best off getting a new video card with HDMI out, or should I just use a normal monitor cable from the existing video card to the TV?

basically i want the highest res possible on the tv (tv is a 42" LCD)

HDMI or DVI would be the best way to go IMO.

If you get the right video card for the computer, the HDMI output will also output the sound to the tv as well, so you can easily use the tv speakers or sound system that is hooked up to the tv.

It's only one less connection but it does save having to change both the tv channel and your sound system channel when you want to switch from tv to computer

tv only has VGA

this means new video card and HDMI hub, cause I got no more HDMI inputs free on the TV.

I'm guessing that using VGA will look pretty ordinary on screen this size, i might test it first though.

will report back once i get the chance to do this

lloyd are you watching media or do you plan on using it as a computer?

does your pc have an s-video out?

i use that for media (well use to, i just stream to the sexbox now) playing through vlc media player. awesome quality. no degradation. but yeah no good if you plan on using it as a monitor.

lloyd are you watching media or do you plan on using it as a computer?

does your pc have an s-video out?

i use that for media (well use to, i just stream to the sexbox now) playing through vlc media player. awesome quality. no degradation. but yeah no good if you plan on using it as a monitor.

i'll be using it as a computer

tv only has VGA

this means new video card and HDMI hub, cause I got no more HDMI inputs free on the TV.

I'm guessing that using VGA will look pretty ordinary on screen this size, i might test it first though.

will report back once i get the chance to do this

you are right....HDMI is ( high defination ) 780 p up to 1080 p...vga & DVI ( standard defination )is up to 640 x 640 p pal video

if your using/playing standard defination video in your laptop to your vt there is no point running HDMI ( it looks bad ) just use VGA or DVI

in your p.c video card... set up the second monitor to 1280 x 720 resolution.....then the video will be ok on your 42 using vga

You can go up to 1,920 × 1,200 @ 60 Hz using DVI, so that isn't the issue.

Also, VGA connectors can output higher resolutions than 640x480 in most circumstances these days. They are using better standards than the original VGA standard now, but retained the 'VGA connector' as such. As a VGA connector is also called an 'RGB cable', this may help it be less confusing

VGA cable can be used with a variety of supported VGA resolutions, ranging from 640×400px @70 Hz (24 MHz of signal bandwidth) to 1280×1024px @85 Hz (160 MHz) and up to 2048×1536px @85 Hz (388 MHz). There are no standards defining the quality required for each resolution

• 1 month later...

you would need to buy adapters and converter boxes which makes it quite expensive and not worth it at all.

If you want to hook an xbox to a pc screen, get a pc screen with hdmi port in it that supports 50hz, that's what i did with my ps3 and benq monitor.

This is the one i have, and it works well.

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/9hl ... ml?sort=3a