Want a new laptop

Cupe

Do not want a mac.

Budget: $1k (the less spent the better)

Uses: Mainly uni.. So writing shit, and for media when I'm bored

Requires: Long battery life, light weight, decent hardware

Do not need super fuck off computer. Just something current and boss.

kgo

i think the one i got a month or 2 ago back is really good for $699

dell inspiron 15r SE. light, easily powerful enough for uni work. got great media specs for when you're bored.

also had no probs with it at all. its actually bit of a beast for the price.

just say'n.

the checklist of things I am thinking that would be relevant:

-weight (lighter the better obviously as your going to be carrying it around a bit)

-OS (do you want windows 7 or 8 included with the laptop)

-screen size (do you want a smaller screen to make it lighter / more compact to carry around all the time or a standard 15"

-amount of pixels on the screen for max productivity / things open

-battery life - needs to be decent if your going to be sitting in lectures and don't have access to a powerpoint for long periods

if you can answer those questions i'll start hunting and see what i can come up with

At what point do tablet's become a suitable option for this? Plenty of apps for productivity now. With M$ getting into the tablet game I imagine there will be (if not already) a tablet version of Office that will integrate with a desktop version. A tablet would only be of use along side a desktop/laptop though.

the checklist of things I am thinking that would be relevant:

-weight (lighter the better obviously as your going to be carrying it around a bit)

-OS (do you want windows 7 or 8 included with the laptop)

-screen size (do you want a smaller screen to make it lighter / more compact to carry around all the time or a standard 15"

-amount of pixels on the screen for max productivity / things open

-battery life - needs to be decent if your going to be sitting in lectures and don't have access to a powerpoint for long periods

if you can answer those questions i'll start hunting and see what i can come up with

Already said need light weight

I don't care what OS. Obv windows

Prefer not too small, as long as screen size doesn't add a kilo per inch (like my di-) I don't even know what the standard is

I just want LED cause it's pretty

Already said need beast mode battery

All schools are currently making students have ipads instead of laptops now in some states

And so many have gone under because of it.

I agree with mitch in the hp is shit option, nothing but hardware issues with mine, and 2 friends just got lemons right out the box.

At WHS we have had really good experience with the asus consumer laptops. Kids are pretty rough with them but there still in top shape and look fantastic.

il go through the msy laptops now.

for about 700 you can pick up a good ACER ASPIRE, its what ive been running now for about 9 months, main things you wanna look for is large HDD (500gb+) at least 4Gb of RAM and 2.5-3.7GHz of CPU Power, obviously in these cases, bigger is better. although for Processors, look for the Intel i5, its a bit older than the i7, but for a heck of a lot less, it does a fuck load more.

The i5 isn't older than the i7..

The i7 is just a higher range than the i5 in the core i series. There is more to CPU than clock speed - which is what most people try and sell their processors on. The one with higher clock speed is not always better

Dont buy the asus. Highest rates of repair i get working at harvey norman. hp is a close second.

as gay as it is, dells arnt a bad option.

For most things an i5 will do fine in all seriousness.

ultrabook however with 256gb ssd. However make sure they are duel 128gb drives. Im a personal fan of the toshiba and samsung ultrabooks but that is just me. No real news on repair rates yet. the samsungs are a pretty sleek machine tho, get one on sale for abiou 700ish. i sold one 2 weeks ago 100below cost @ 599 256, i7, 6gb ram. thats what you are looking for. if you still havent got one by christmas wait till the 6th of january, domain, harvey norman, joyce mayne have a massive sale, camp out in the morning and you'll snap up something crazy

• 7 months later...