I've Lost My Mixing Mojo

i used to go through patches like this, mainly when i was focusing on pumping out recorded mixtapes/sets. I have a very planned/structured/technical style when it comes to making a mixtape and also a perfectionist, so when i dont get that exact drop, exact cut, exact phrase i get really really pissed off at myself, then couple that with getting 30-40 mins through a recorded set and making 1 little mistake, i can really make myself feel like shit.

the way i learnt to deal with me being a fuckhead to myself is take a break, then during the week just jam out with myself, free mixing and having a few drinks of course, just locking myself in my room and enjoying music, not caring if i made a mistake because no one was listening anyway.

I also mixed totally different genres when i was doing my free mixing, sometimes you can feel like you're getting stale/bored, especially if you are mixing the stuff you would normally mix for your live shows/mixtapes.

hope my method can also help you out mate

Yeah these guys got the idea, I went through a point where I couldn't beat match dubstep on vinyl anymore cause I was focusing so hard on DnB, could only play CDs, so I left it for a while and came back to it 1 night (FNCP) to be exact, had a few drinks flowing and no shit, I was able to do it again

take a break, and when u come back to it have a couple of drinks under the belt

ive had a couple of rough patches myself where everything i mix goes to balls within 30 mins. taking a break seems to do the trick... and the drinking, cant stress enough how much drinking seems to help me

its a sad realisation, but it works... Probably cause it relaxes me, and i mix better when relaxed as i mix based on the feel of the music rather than trying to over analyse shit

stop thinking about it. Every DJ fucks up at some point. Just carry on.

When it come to recording a mix I never try to plan it out really. I just have a mix... always record no matter what your doing that way you don't over think the fact your recording etc...

This is kind of off topic, but still relevant.

But anyway, on Saturday night at work, the opening DJ (9-11) played an epic set of MOS-esque tunes from 2006-2009.

All the cool shit like Chemical Bro's, Tocadisco, Julie McKnight, Fuzzy Hair, etc.

Got me thinking, that this was the kind of shit that got me into EDM, so why not give it another week, then come back and mix all the "old school" things.

Figured it would be something different for me, and would bring me back to the reason I initially wanted to get into DJ'ing.

• 3 months later...

What always gets me going again is this...

New music....

I get bored with the same old music. I'm very busy in my life and dont really have too much time for djing any more. So I get a bunch of new tracks. Listen to them in the car and very soon I hear a few gems! once i hear some gems it gives me that spirit again!

It also works well for me to download live sets from other pro djs who play a similar genre. I then hear new tracks and someone elses style of mixing. It always gets me going again hehe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...