What is the best affordable beginners set up?

Jaytee

What is the best beginners set up?

I was thinking about buying the CDJ-400 x 2 and a DJM-400 mixer but according to most people of this site, it's way to expensive and not good for starting off with.

I do not want to buy any records or CD's.

I have all my songs in mp3 format on my computer and just want to play off that.

I'll do mostly bedrom DJing, but once I get better within a few months I might consider doing DJing at small events then build up to slightly larger ones (possibly just parties and company parties).

I like to do scratching as well as mixing - for all genres from hip hop to techno to trance to hardstyle.

What would be the best option for me to go for?

$2000 is a bit too much, I need a cheaper alternative.

I got my first set up for $1200. 2 American Audio CDI 300s and a Behringer DDM4000, then I replaced that with a Xone:22 and bought my Xd-53s. One small step at a time bro, especially when you have little money.

If u had the money, I'd tell you to go for the 400 setup... but yyeah

Ok a couple of options for you, I'm guessing you've never actually mixed before (sorry if I'm wrong).

Option A:

* Behringer BCD-3000 (or equivalent) with whatever software it comes with (I think Traktor LE or something). This little controller will set you back a couple of hundred and will allow you to mix straight off your computer. Then when you catch the Djing bug and want to get more into it, you can save your cash to buy some decks (Cd/vinyl/or even more advanced controllers). That way if you don't like DJing after a couple of months you didn't waste thousands of dollars.

Option B:

* CDJ200 or 400's with a basic 2 channel mixer (Numark DXM06 maybe) still quite in expensive and will let you do all you will need to. All you have to do is burn your tunes to cds and you're good to go. Will set you back about $1500ish.

Dont forget for these you will need speakers, headphones (unless you already have these).

Hope this helps somewhat.

I'd go with somehting like the vci-100. any 2 channel soundcard and traktor lite or pro.

still going to run you close to $1000 to get going, but if you check out places like djtechtools.com, you can see that it's not going to limit your progress. That's something that you need to consider ina beginner setup - anything will do to learn the very basics, but you lose money if you have to replace it soon to keep progressing

Ok a couple of options for you, I'm guessing you've never actually mixed before (sorry if I'm wrong).

Option A:

* Behringer BCD-3000 (or equivalent) with whatever software it comes with (I think Traktor LE or something). This little controller will set you back a couple of hundred and will allow you to mix straight off your computer. Then when you catch the Djing bug and want to get more into it, you can save your cash to buy some decks (Cd/vinyl/or even more advanced controllers). That way if you don't like DJing after a couple of months you didn't waste thousands of dollars.

Option B:

* CDJ200 or 400's with a basic 2 channel mixer (Numark DXM06 maybe) still quite in expensive and will let you do all you will need to. All you have to do is burn your tunes to cds and you're good to go. Will set you back about $1500ish.

Dont forget for these you will need speakers, headphones (unless you already have these).

Hope this helps somewhat.

i have the option b setup, 400's and the DXM. youll also need headphones...and that setup cost me about #$2300. so its a bit more then 1500 :). although prices may of droped since the start of year.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read the instructions for PCDJ-Red Mobile and it seems to be way easy to be a DJ using that DJ software.

Why don't you just buy a touch screen and use that as a Midi controller?

Or better yet the new touch screen interfaces for Windows 7 that allow you to use two or more of your fingers to operate the touch screen.

I just read the instructions for PCDJ-Red Mobile and it seems to be way easy to be a DJ using that DJ software.

Or better yet the new touch screen interfaces for Windows 7 that allow you to use two or more of your fingers to operate the touch screen.

Please dont ever mention PCDJ again

Please dont ever mention PCDJ again

Hey does using Serato Scratch Live count as PCDJing?

yeah but in this circumstance, its not. Serato in it's absoloute form simply mounts the song from the computer. Everything else is analog.

PCDJ, VDJ etc is just gay and does everything.

Traktor beat locks, but its a DVS and when used to it's capabilities is amazing i.e richie hawtin

PCDJing is djing with your computer, by with I mean no external hardware just clicking and using John Mayatt quote "keyboard shortcuts" end quote. Sure auto beatmatching is gay and cheating and whatever, if you have some sort of external hardware I dont think it should be considered PCDJ, your computer is just your vinyl crate :)

i suggest saving up for something decent like the djm400 and cdj 400/800. coz if u start off with something cheaper u will wanna upgrade later on and spend more money. id suggest pay for it once and for all.

as for not using records or cd, dude ur gonna be using cd at least. burning a cd off ur computer is not hard. one cd costs about 20-30 cents and stores about 10 tracks. its really not that hard once u get in the habit of burning cd.

and last but not least, having a cd/vinyl set up has the wow factor as well. who do u think chicks will dig?? the pc dj or the record dj :P:P

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...