what music software do you use at home to listen to music?

yizzle

So i ask this because -

I have used iTunes for years and years, started when i got an iPod many many (MANY) moons ago. those days are long and dead now so i figured it was time to change.

Also, was not a huge fan of iTunes not playing FLAC without conversion and a few other things iTunes did.

The software i migrated to recently is called MusicBee.

MusicBee is awesome imo, very easy to customize the UGI, plays about 99.9% of everything, has nice little features like linking all your music to last.fm, wiki, youtube and hunts down all the lyrics for the tracks your listening to. (im a sucka for those little touches)

BUT, when i use MIK with my tracks, MusicBee wont change or recognise what MIK has done with the key and tempo etc.

so, what music software do you use at home to listen to music and why?

i feel like i need something better.

i was thinking winamp but it seems all over the place at the moment...

ta

foobar2000. Pretty customizable, can have album art, playlists, lists by artist/album/folder structure, plus there's a few good plugins and skins that are really useful

also has inbuilt shit for converting between formats too, which is really handy

iTunes for tha win bro

im really surprised to hear that from you. wanna give me a spitty pro and con list?

It's just extremely simple for me. Maybe it because I have a mac and it all just works well but my music goes in, I make my playlists and bridge across to traktor and rekordbox, even serato. It's my music hub and it works very well for what I need. I even encode HQ wav or aiff files to mp3 if I need to

I mostly use iTunes. People say it's shit but it does everything I need it to. I can't live without smart playlists. Plus I think it has the best user interface. It's the best I've found for dealing with large libraries.

For flac I use media monkey which is the closest to iTunes I can find. But there is just done thing about it that doesn't make it as easy to use.

I use iTunes (guess I'm biased being in the apple ecosystem)

I use AIFF instead of FLAC which solves the format problem with iTunes. Also pioneer CD players don't do FLAC, so a bit useless for me.

I use VLC for anything outside of iTunes.

Regarding your issue with mik not updating the tags in musicbee.. iTunes does this with me as well, until you reload the tags. Have you looked for a refresh/reload id3 tags option in it?

I've just downloaded Winamp again after a conversation with Cupe. The biggest reason for me doing this is to gain search and queue list functionality again. Hitting J to search/jump to a file and queue'ing it next is a huge thing VLC lacks.

Give media monkey a whirl. It's a cross between iTunes and Winamp.

Regarding your issue with mik not updating the tags in musicbee.. iTunes does this with me as well, until you reload the tags. Have you looked for a refresh/reload id3 tags option in it?

i have looked around. it just seems to ignore whatever MIK does. i might look a little deeper :thumleft:

• 8 months later...

Take a look at J River Media Center (there's a demo you can try).

It's about the best home media player I've found.  It does everything you'd expect, plus a bunch of features you won't find elsewhere (ASIO support, DSP for room correction, running multiple streams from the one sound interface, DLNA, etc etc etc).

It won't be for everybody (and not everybody will be up for a paid player), but it's pretty superb.

My second favourite choice would be Media Monkey ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have tried pretty well most, last was Virtual dj

I have come back to Winamp. 

If you pull the display apart you can  set it up as you want.

Takes a bit of time to discover the micro icons hidden all over the page but gives a reasonably good sound from lousy internal sound cards with a bit of tweaking,