Zero to Hero

SolDios

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, $10 an hour?

You are way too kind bro, but it is good to see that you are doing for the enjoyment of entertaining people and the love of music. But seriously dude I think you could charge a little extra, the more you earn the closer you are to getting some turntables... :D

hey man would just like to point out for a venue dj you will almost have to never bring your own cd's all you need to bring is heaphones and a source of music (cd's, vinyl, laptop)

just a suggestion.

why not before a video post the breif outline of the video on here and we could help comment on it, correct things if need be or suggest things to add. because like you said, your kind of new to the game so wont have knowledge on everthing just yet(like the venue djing :) ) , and people on here may be able to help correct as much as possible. because its going to be a series type thing im guessing you wont want many mistakes in it.???

hey man would just like to point out for a venue dj you will almost have to never bring your own cd's all you need to bring is heaphones and a source of music (cd's, vinyl, laptop)

just a suggestion.

why not before a video post the breif outline of the video on here and we could help comment on it, correct things if need be or suggest things to add. because like you said, your kind of new to the game so wont have knowledge on everthing just yet(like the venue djing :) ) , and people on here may be able to help correct as much as possible. because its going to be a series type thing im guessing you wont want many mistakes in it.???

good point! thank you for all the great advice johnnyB :)

by the way dunno if you noticed but the last vid here is alot of mobile phone static recorded in it...

and 10 bucks an hour is helllll cheap man, people couldnt even hire your speakers from a hire company for that much

yes :S unfortunately it came through every time mother figure walks down the hallway :3

sol,

i havnt had time to watch your vids but good on you for having a go.

if you are seriously going to only charge $10 an hour for that gig (going on others comments) you're basically saying someone at maccas flipping burgers has more talent than you, $30 an hour should be the absolute bare minimum, I personally charge $55-$60 an hour

doing it so cheaply basically sends out the message that any shmuck can do it, and it will end up that not only will other djs not get any private work, you wont either because if they think that someone can do it for $10 an hour they will just load up a playlist in in itunes and hit play, take some pride in your work

yeah, agree with the other boys... I know you're not in it for the $$, but $10 is way cheap and not only are you cheapening it for the rest of the 'profession' you're selling yourself short.

From what I understand, you're doing mates rates or love jobs for friends partys, just for the experience? Thats fair enough IMO

but when it's a proper gig, you'd want $300+ for a 7 hour gig (thats at a minimum)

I wonder what DJ dennis charges?

have a nice day

yeah, agree with the other boys... I know you're not in it for the $$, but $10 is way cheap and not only are you cheapening it for the rest of the 'profession' you're selling yourself short.

From what I understand, you're doing mates rates or love jobs for friends partys, just for the experience? Thats fair enough IMO

but when it's a proper gig, you'd want $300+ for a 7 hour gig (thats at a minimum)

agreed i should of added that, if im doing it for close mates or family i just make sure they are going to feed me and make sure my drinks never empty, however its generally a lot more relaxed/easy going at those type of functions and most the time you can chuck on a cd or two and go mingle soclialise, and then really get into it for last hour or two

but yer if this is your first professional gig, it doesnt matter if your new, they dont know that, and its a MASSIVE effort on your part to make sure the night is running smoothly, plus carting around your gear thats often worth over 3-4k, which brings up another interesting question, are you properly insured incase some tard spills drinks on your gear or knocks over a speaker?

ps if you are a burger flipper then you know djing takes a lot more talent than that, and you should be compensated appropiately

i had insurance threw RACQ man, you just put it under your parents home and contents insurance and if anything ever happens...say alcohol gets spilled on your gear and fucks it then you just say it happened at your house or your not covered...

but its probly only worth it for your speakers man because its like a $400 excess and a $200 premium or something like that

Good stuff mate,

good luck with it all.

One piece of advice.....Put that sub on the ground mate. If you're wanting future clients to take you seriously they will want to see that you know which speakers go where for good sound, and if someone see's a sub sitting up on your desk they may query how much you know about how sounds work.

Not a stab in anyway mate, just advice. If i noticed it someone else might.

Peace.

yeh i tend not to under sell as well, esp if our supplying gear, im doin a gig soon at mates rates which means he pays for my flights to syd, and i dj also with a mate of mine and he is getting paid a basic rate for his efforts and the guys im doing this for are paying for the gear hire and setup.

best arrangement i rock up with my cds play my shit and finish, i can tell u ur gonna hate packing up after 7hrs dude, i used to fuken spew, you will be drained after it, well i usally am after a stint longer than 2 hours maybe i concentrate too hard lol!