How do DJs look so busy?

What are DJs do during the first song of the drop when they mix in the second? I see them put their headphones on doing something but they also put headphones during the second drop which is where they attempt to beatmatch and mix... Also when they EQ or beatmatch they seem to have many buttons to press or something... (They look so busy) Not sure if im just a noob but I take half the time they take.... Thanks!!!! :--F

i've seen DJ's that are just looking busy twisting imaginary knobs and just flicking cross faders on channels not in use. using maschine's that don't even exist rofl

when i play... i'm looking for the next track, finding a good spot in the track to mix into, cue it, fix gains if need be (i don't normalize my tracks rofl) and just repeat. also doing the typical waving around and jumping behind the booth, not my choice rofl

You need to make micro adjustments to the bass/treble etc with such fine adjustments that nobody can make out any difference. All the while pulling the hand away from the knobs in a sharp motion, in time with the music.

I believe this is the last skill you learn in intermediary DJ school before moving to the advanced cake toss.

But in all seriousness I don't know either. But I'm an extremely average bedroom DJ.

Yeah I get too bored between tracks and lose my shit when I know the next track I've got cued up is a massive one.

So I might try to mix it in a bit earlier while the current track is playing - might try this a couple times, if it fails I stop and wait and drop it when it's meant to be mixed during the outro of the playing track.

That would probably make me look busy.

Or skipping through tracks to find one that works.

Tinkering with highs/meds/lows/effects.

Preparing my cake etc

Me and Mitch usually drink beers and work out what song to play next.

If I'm wankered I press all the buttons, depends on the night really.

Andy normally presses lots of buttons :P

But seriously, what I normally do:

- if I have 3/4 decks, I'm preparing the next 2 tracks (or loop/acapella)

--this is picking the track, setting the loop etc.

-adjusting EQs and volume

-utilise the fx to work the track to the crowd

-refuse all the requests

-just be a general DJ God

I can be busy constantly if I have 3-4 decks

It's like star craft players constantly clicking their mouse when they're not actually doing anything.. It's keeping your actions per minute up, keeping you warm and ready for action for any point in the mix.

Lately when I play out, since I don't have much practice under my belt not having any gear of my own I just aim for smooth mixing, track to track, not much effects/EQ'ing. If I've got shit beatmatched, it's time to give the floor some energy by getting em moving the way I move to it! With the mid tempo weird stuff I'm into, beatmatching takes a while.

Wow I now see why!!! Thank you so much all!!! *tunez**tunez**tunez*

One last thing, when this dude

drops the song at 7:51 and hits play and beatmatches.. why does he press cue and play it again and beatmatches at 11 bars.. Is he just bored or something?

Also here as well...

at 5:00 and he presses play and beatmatches and then presses cue and then play jsut before the drop and beatmatches again.. whats the whole point?! Thank you so much for your time guys..Cant afford to donate so ill just constantly click on ads lol...

• 1 month later...

Well it depends what your doing i guess.

I tend to use the queue buttons abit and skip around into the track and set queue points. Listen to the incoming track over the outgoing track before i mix it in. Gives you the ability to analyze the incoming track so you can understand much high/mid/lows to use at certain points. Determine if any of the ranges clash against each.

Also gives you a better idea when to swap basslines etc. It's not like your just hitting play then SEE WHAT HAPPENS :)

Sometimes i muck around with effects in queue so i can see what a high/low pass might sound like before i do it live. Certain fx sound different in some tracks so i guess it can be handy to check.

Sometimes it takes a while to find a track that suits the current track, im sure we've all had that happen... 1 min to go and no track selected! then your busy hitting loop and mashing the track up whilst trying to find another just to keep the beats going.

Otherwise they could just be lining up future tracks or... the DJ could just be on acid and doesnt actually know what hes doing! LOL

When im playing a set for an mc, I generally don't do much, sometimes i'll load a double of the instrumental and just scratch the first kick drum occasionally at the end of the verse. Otherwise if im playing my own set i juggle the intro, cue the next track and wait impatiently for the end of the chorus so i can drop the next track.

Scratching some random yeah or awww sample quietly in the background keeps me entertained aswell.

When im playing a set for an mc, I generally don't do much, sometimes i'll load a double of the instrumental and just scratch the first kick drum occasionally at the end of the verse. Otherwise if im playing my own set i juggle the intro, cue the next track and wait impatiently for the end of the chorus so i can drop the next track.

Scratching some random yeah or awww sample quietly in the background keeps me entertained aswell.

Somehow I don't think this question was aimed at vinyl DJ's. Nobody questions why you guys are busy.

Somehow I don't think this question was aimed at vinyl DJ's. Nobody questions why you guys are busy.

i think all turntablists are exempt from this question lol

• 1 month later...