Think You Can DJ Better Than Paris Hilton - ADJF Mix Comp

Paris-hilton-dj.jpg

Ok guys, As we all know there are some novice DJ's out there who either lack motivation or are too worried about what people will say when they post a mix. Well here is your chance to post a mix, get some feedback and more importantly win some free shit. I know right, we all love free shit!

Im going to switch this competition up and let you select the tracks for your mix, unlike the last few where the tracklist has been stipulated by the competition organiser. This way there is no reason for you not to enter because you don't like the genre or the tracks selected etc, So next time you're rocking out in your bedroom hit the record button and share your skills.

So, the rules....

Entrant Criteria

We know who most of the beginners are around here so if you're interested in taking part in the competition please post below and we will choose from the list, we want this to be fair. This doesn't mean that if you have been a part of ADJF for a week, but had club gigs for 3 years you are allowed to enter. We want total newbies to DJ'ing to get involved and fight it out.

How long should my mix go for?

Your mix should be between 25-30 minutes

Can I use any songs from any genre?

YOU CAN PLAY ANYTHING from ANY GENRE. The only thing I WONT accept is you playing a 25 minute mash up of nursery rhymes on a recorder, even if you have dope skills Mary Had A Little Lamb s not welcome around here.

Can I use vocal samples and mashups?

You CAN use vocal samples and acapella's BUT PRE-MADE MASHUPS ARE A NO NO

Is there a limit on songs I need to use?

You MUST have a minimum of 7 tracks in your mix. Because this is more of a beginners comp I don't want to pressure you guys into cramming as many songs as you can into your mix, I want you to focus more on track selection and a smooth flowing mix. If you can fit more than 7 go for it.

What can I use to make my mix?

CDJ'S, VINYL TT'S AND CONTROLLERS ONLY (Yes this includes Serato and Traktor. But please keep your finger away from the sync button, this button can cause aids). Its unfair on other members if you use mixing software or a DAW

When Is the mix due?

All entries must be uploaded to SOUNDCLOUD and emailed to me by Sunday 22nd July. Your email has to include a link to your mix and the tracklist and transition times, The description of your mix uploaded to soundcloud MUST include the ADJF website url: http://www.ausdjforums.com

Email Address - hobberz@ausdjforums.com

You can only submit 1 entry per person.

Open to Australian residents and ADJF members only; UNLESS you are happy to pay international postage to your country.

Note: If you fail to supply your track list (in order) and your transition times, your submission will not be accepted.

Judging & Voting

Again this comp will be slightly different and will have NO voting poll. Each mix will be analysed by myself and some other judges that will be chosen at a later date.

You will be judged on:

Beatmatching

Phrasing

Track selection

EQ'ing

Flow and structure of the mix

The free shit

1st Prize 1 x ADJF T-Shirt, 1 x ADJF Lanyard and some ADJF stickers, Have your mix on ADJF Radio, Posted on Official ADJF Facebook and featured on ADJF Soundcloud Profile

2nd Prize 1 x ADJF Lanyard and ADJF stickers

3rd Prize ADJF stickers

Good luck everyone, don't be scared to to have a crack at this one. :thumright:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea for a comp.

yeh it is, I know this is a touchy subject, but I reckon this would be a great comp for Stoddi to get onto, and obviously it'll only be positive feedback and helpful tips, help him get to that next level :)

Stoddi is 40% of the reason I made this comp

this is an awesome idea. we've had a lot of new guys start up over the last year.

this is a great oppurtunity to push yourself to record something, get some feedback from people in the game, and possibly win prizes.

i think all our bedroom/ freshman should get on it. even you non-posting creepers who are just starting out.

do it!