ADJF - Gig Log

legunner

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I have 300 under 18s in their local community hall. Opening night of a monthly event that my agent has organised. hope they like proper bass coz that's what they're gonna get.

tmrw is annual youth festival for my county. 5000 under 18s. I host a marquee all day with 4 cdjs and 2 techs where anyone can have a go/ get a quick taste of djing then: silent disco in a dif marquee for two hours to fin the eve. It's a mad hectic day i've done 5 years running but one of the food stalls does great kebabs...

at least it's not a wedding, and i'll be home by midnight both nights so might go out after.

^outstanding.

I love seeing people flare and crab coz i never learnt those techniques. especially flares.

Post vids mate?

haha id love to post some vids bro but honestly im the lazyest WHALE out, its hard enough for me to gee up and have a scratch and setup the decks let along making videos for everyone..i will one day though

^ haha crundyy, you're the laziest WHALE out ey?

I'm the u.k.s brightest hope for gold in the olympic couch potato comp!

GANDY: no one has called me jimbo in years mate, nice 1, brought back some rare memories.

oh yeah....

just to let you know what you're up against:

Longest time spent in exactly same buttgroove on sofa = 39 hours... I didnt even notice, one of my housemates timed me from getting in from a club at 4am on a fri eve. didnt move but didnt sleep either until sunday when i needed a crap! aaa, them were the days.

ok, last night hit rock bottom:

i was a paid agency dj so i shouldnt give a toss... but there was no one there. srs. the promoters thought they'd done their job but they were well wrong.

NOT ONE CUSTOMER.

so I had a blast with the beatport top 10 for an hour then went home with my dolla, two hours early coz the promoter nobs gave up too!

Was my birthday yesterday and also a mates engagement party, so we hired out a rooftop bar/function room and took the decks along. There were 3 separate functions on and me and friend(another bedroom DJ) decided to go track for track towards the end of the night.

There were a few people standing in front of the decks chatting etc and I played that Give me everything tonight song and I look up and and everyone(even all the older people) in the bar were up dancing from the decks to the back of the room. Was my first real time playing for a crowd like that and was an awesome feeling, we had the crowd going for about an hour and then we were told we had to turn it of due to close time.

The manager got our details and said he will contact us and organise for us to play every saturday night and sunday afternoons by the pool for the sunday sesh.

:D:D:D

^ thats brilliant hobz, a natural progression mate... + rep.

My sat night was much better than my friday. It was the under 18s festival where 5000 kids can do all kinds of things plus there is a main stage with big bands... at the event i judge the area dj competition, host a marquee where kids can try out djing then move to a dif marquee to do a two hour silent disco. Two sets of dex, two channels and the headphones have a switch so the dancers can choose which dj they listen to, me and 3 of my best students playing heavy bass, dubstep, chart remixes and stuff for the under 18s. See vid below, i tried to hold the headphones to my phone so you could hear it but didnt work:

I was at a bar on Saturday night HOTEL CBD with about 5 other friends, we had never been there before but it was nice and quiet and the drinks weren't too expensive, the one thing about this place was the music... it was a joke... and they did have a live DJ... song after song was just terrible, at one point he tried to mix sandstorm with bulletproof........... I was gobsmacked and after this happened and I walked up the DJ and had a chat to him I asked him if he has been DJing for long, and he said

"Yeah man about 3 years now"...

To that I said, "Ok.... well I have been doing it about 3 years as well and I was wondering if I maybe gave you some tips? I noticed you struggling a bit"

He said "sure man, but I don't have that many songs to choose from" (this coming from a guy who says he has been DJing for 3 years? obviously he was bullshitting...)

so I asked him where the owner was and if he would mind if I got my CD's to play, he pointed me to him and I walked up to the owner and said "hey mate I noticed your DJ is struggling a bit, I have a MASSIVE selection of house/pop remixes which I think would go nicely in a place like this, would you mind if I grabbed them and helped him out?"

The first thing he said was "you’re not going to charge me for this are you?" I laughed and said "nah mate I just want some good music to listen to for my mates and I noticed your DJ was sweating hard" to which he replied "yeah, he sucks but I can't afford to have no music and he works for cheap, but go for your life mate, I just can't pay you".

That’s all I needed to hear, so I ran to the car, grabbed my case and rushed back, my heart was pumping, I was so excited cause I would get to play in a real scene, as this was my first live set... apart from doing radio streams, but I didn’t have much experience on the CDJ's, I could beat match though, and this is leagues ahead of the current guy playing...

I got back to the club and handed him the case and he says "but I don't know any of your songs, I won't know where to cut in etc..." is this guy for real?!! He didn’t even know the songs he was playing at the moment!!!!

so I basically took over the decks, I started with cheese, couple of Katy Perry songs, some Britney spears, some Jason DeRulo then went into some classic electro/house, every song beat matched and I felt like a king. I was running on the industry standard CDJ1000's with the DJM800 mixer, nothing to flash but perfect for me because these are the tools I learnt on :)

My mates were gobsmacked as they didn’t know I could play live sets on CDJ's they thought I was going to be an epic fail, but by the end (1am) I had about 50 - 60 people in the bar which had my mates and 5 others before, 20 on the dance floor with requests coming in, and when it was all done the owner came up and slipped me $50 with his business card and said "sorry I can’t give you more mate, but give me a call tomorrow and we can sort something out".

I felt a bit bad, I pretty much just got the DJ who was on fired... but fuck the guy can't go round calling himself a DJ

So now I just have to tell the guy that he has himself a new DJ and I guess I will start this weekend! I will keep you all updated on how my gigs go! :)

Last saturday - engagement party at seaford hotel, bout 100 people, 3 hours of house/electro/background,1 hour of pub rock, last hour closed with trance.

this wed - you know how I always bitch about dance? well last week they were complaining that the kids weren't paying attention to her, so I told them to stfu and let me show them how its done. so this week I gotta nut up or shut up.

this sat - 40rth bday party, BUT they want me to also run party games and keep their kids busy. I assume they mean nutbush competitions, chicken dance, that kind of thing yeh?

lurk6r out.

^lovin cappsss tale. same thing you mentioned on the other thread rite?

lurk6r: i f you do those party games and things you are a much much much braver man than me. I run a mile... it only takes one spoilt brat to lose the game they wanted to win and their crying to mummy and guess who looks a WHALE for the rest of the night.

Kids entertainer aint in the dj job description to me. but if you can do it: big up, loads of work in that if you can do both.